Page 451 of 454 FirstFirst ... 351401441449450451452453 ... LastLast
Results 13,501 to 13,530 of 13614

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

As an engineer the thing I find most annoying is having a problem with a system or a piece of equipment, working diligently to determine and correct the cause, only to have the problem go away for no apparent reason. It happened again last night.

I was watching a program on Peacock (AP Bio) and at the conclusion exited to the TV, only to get a blank screen. I could no longer get the Smartcast either. I played with it for a few minutes and then gave up for the night, intending to contact the manufacturer this morning.

It fixed itself overnight.

There are clues, however. On the manufacturer's website is a message about getting a blank screen when accessing Smartcast (with a workaround while they fix it). On the TV screen when I turned it on was a message that a software update had been applied.

The viewer in me says, "Eh, it's fixed." The engineer says, "But how?"
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Intermittent problems are the worst. When I was at Boeing there was a 747 that had an intermittent obstruction of the rudder pedals. We had a service engineer in Korea for two months meeting the airplane every time it came in. Couldn't find the source. Finally it happened coming into NYC and they grounded the airplane there. I was sent along with an AOG (Airplane on Ground) team in big hurry and managed to find the problem within one minute of getting aboard the aircraft. It was a loose piece that could block the pedals, but only if the copilot's pedals were adjusted rearward because he was of shorter than average stature.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I hate that there are things I can simply can't know the answers to. I'm working on my teaching degree, I've been in various positions at four different school districts in addition to observations at other schools over the past 8 years. I know a bit about our local educational system.

Next Tuesday, my school is reopening. Our principal had a baby yesterday. The staff told her: "Thank you for everything you do, we've got this! Go have that baby. Everything will be fine." We have concerns about the program, but they aren't really huge concerns. Our staff gets along with our administration team, probably better than most places. Our HR people are excellent.

Meanwhile, another local school district announced plans to reopen on Tuesday. 100 of their staff took a leave of absences and another 100 quit. Now they are partially opening on Tuesday.

Despite all of my connections in the educational field, I don't know what went wrong. Somebody must have screwed up on how they handled information distribution. I didn't post this in the COVID thread because I think that all of the safeguards for COVID are merely the straw that broke the camels back.
    Solfe

I lost my shopping list halfway around the store and don't know what I might have forgotten. Except for one item. I was supposed to get canned cat food!

At least we have a few days worth.

Today is a federal holiday, Labor Day, in the US.
    We had packages delivered from the top two retail stores. That bugs me, as the packages could have waited a day, and the delivery folks had the day off.

“Holiday” in the US is becoming a synonym for government offices (but nothing else) are closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Today is a federal holiday, Labor Day, in the US.
    We had packages delivered from the top two retail stores. That bugs me, as the packages could have waited a day, and the delivery folks had the day off.

“Holiday” in the US is becoming a synonym for government offices (but nothing else) are closed.

Agreed. Especially since the holiday was originally meant to celebrate Union workers, a vanishing breed in the United States. My family and I were out today, and on appearances there was no difference in retail activity. Might as well have been just another Monday.

Except that all the banks were closed, there's no mail delivery, and my local library is also closed. What bugs me is that my library also closes the Saturday before any federal holiday that falls on a Monday. The banks were open on Saturday, the mail was delivered on Saturday, so why does the library get two days off for the holiday?

7. 2020-Sep-08, 02:18 AM

Household chores, annoying but not trivial as such

Few retail employees are unionized, in no small part because of how much the stores fight allowing it. So of course the retail employees don't get things like holidays and sick pay.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The no-prescription-glasses-after-LASIK era of my life ended at 21 years and 4 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Few retail employees are unionized, in no small part because of how much the stores fight allowing it. So of course the retail employees don't get things like holidays and sick pay.
    I worked in retail for twenty years, and we got sick time, assuming you worked more than 30 hours a week and were considered full-time employees. Part timers just had to call in sick and accept the smaller paychecks.

The only holidays our store was closed was Thanksgiving and Christmas. If we worked on any other federal holiday, we received time-and-a-half, which helped soften the blow of working on a holiday. Because so many other people were not working on those days, our traffic was noticeably higher, which is all the reason the store needed to be open on those days.

Every year, people would ask, "Y'all open on Christmas?" with the obvious expectation that we would be. Their reasoning was, "I don't have to work on Christmas, so you should have to work because I'll be bored that day."

Of course, that's just one retail sample. For the past few years, there's been a kind of arms race among retailers to see who would be the first to open prior to Black Friday, such that the Thanksgiving holiday gets squeezed into a smaller and smaller window. Nothing like wolfing down your Thanksgiving meal at 10:30 in the morning because you have to be at work by noon.

But I've also read speculation that the pandemic may put the damper on that craziness this year. Personally, I'm skeptical. This year has been so hard on businesses that they may try to pull out all the stops in the 4th Quarter to salvage as much as they can out of the year's sales. I can see people saying, "Well, family gatherings are forbidden, so we may as well skip Thanksgiving this year and go shopping."

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    The no-prescription-glasses-after-LASIK era of my life ended at 21 years and 4 days.
    Presbyopia?

My internet is still out so I'm using the phone as a mobile hotspot. It seems faster than the cable!
    We are taking my car in for service shortly. The shop is across the road from the cable company sales office. I'll probably drop in there and see what they can tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Presbyopia?
    It was in my case. I had no luck with contacts but LASIK worked well - I had quite a bit of myopia and astigmatism. I can’t remember exactly when I had the procedure or when I had to go back to glasses, but I think I got it around ‘97 and managed without glasses for fifteen years or so. Presbyopia got too significant and my astigmatism was coming back to an extent. It had been a nice break, the only time I went without glasses since about 6th grade. Also, even after I went back to glasses, I could still see better without them than I could before the procedure.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Today is Simon's virtual first day of second grade. I'm not sure his school is really ready for it; we were supposed to have an orientation Zoom meeting last night that never actually happened. Either way, I wish I'd put him on the bus for a safe, pandemic-free day of school instead. (And Irene cried yesterday on finally internalizing that, no, she's not going to school this year after all.)

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Today is Simon's virtual first day of second grade. I'm not sure his school is really ready for it; we were supposed to have an orientation Zoom meeting last night that never actually happened. Either way, I wish I'd put him on the bus for a safe, pandemic-free day of school instead. (And Irene cried yesterday on finally internalizing that, no, she's not going to school this year after all.)
    Aww, that's sad.
    I should ask my niece, who is a Tacoma teacher, how things are going.

Dinner tonight was planned to be homemade (by me!) turkey soup, which I took out of the freezer and put in the fridge to thaw a couple of days ago.
    Problem number 1 (minor): Still partly frozen. Ok, stirred it up, it'll be fine after heating.
    Problem number 2 (less minor): Not soup, just stock. No meat, no veg, no pearl barley, no nothing. Oops, I forgot I did that.
    So we're having some TV dinner thing from the freezer. Tomorrow I will buy ingredients and make it into soup.

Presbyopia?
    Myopic symptom, presumably coming from the presbyopic cause; a narrowing range of focussable distances at age 44, but starting at the far end instead of the near end as would usually be expected. I suppose the cause of the backwardness is the amount of time I've spent all these years looking at things that were relatively close to me. The two things in my life that made think of getting them were how close I needed to get to road signs before I could read them and occasional meetings at work in a room with a not-very-big TV, so I still won't be wearing them outside those contexts (and probably not even every time I drive, since I don't really need to read the signs on the same roads I keep using over & over again).

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Myopic symptom, presumably coming from the presbyopic cause; a narrowing range of focussable distances at age 44, but starting at the far end instead of the near end as would usually be expected. I suppose the cause of the backwardness is the amount of time I've spent all these years looking at things that were relatively close to me. The two things in my life that made think of getting them were how close I needed to get to road signs before I could read them and occasional meetings at work in a room with a not-very-big TV, so I still won't be wearing them outside those contexts (and probably not even every time I drive, since I don't really need to read the signs on the same roads I keep using over & over again).
    Interesting. I was severely myopic from my early teens, then as presbyopia set in my unaided vision just got better and better. Of course then in my 60's I needed cataract surgery.

Yesterday was my day off and I had a cycling route planned out, and we had had good weather all week, but it rained.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Yesterday was my day off and I had a cycling route planned out, and we had had good weather all week, but it rained.
    To quote Alfred Wainwright, "There's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing."

Grant Hutchison

I’ve been severely myopic since grade school. As I got older, Far vision didn’t change, but near vision got worse.

No LASIK for me, either. Fortunately, I can tolerate contact lenses.
    Old joke: I was able to switch to contact lenses when Coke bottles switched to plastic.

I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    To quote Alfred Wainwright, "There's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing."

Grant Hutchison
    You try riding a bicycle in pouring rain wearing glasses! He was only wandering up a few molehills

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    You try riding a bicycle in pouring rain wearing glasses! He was only wandering up a few molehills
    Yeah, I did get rained on and quickly turned around, but it was kind of scary doing the last road-riding bit with rain on my glasses.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Yeah, I did get rained on and quickly turned around, but it was kind of scary doing the last road-riding bit with rain on my glasses.
    It is almost as annoying in the heat of summer when the sweat starts dripping onto them. A good reason to avoid the hottest days. I basically can only see out of one eye so water, of whatever origin, on the lenses does easily become very distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Well, I can't vouch for Wainwright, but being a hypermyopic Scottish person, I have had ... ahem ... more than one occasion to ride a bicycle in the rain while wearing glasses. It's almost an institution in the Scottish Highlands--you're kind of glad of the rain, because it keeps the midges away.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Well, I can't vouch for Wainwright, but being a hypermyopic Scottish person, I have had ... ahem ... more than one occasion to ride a bicycle in the rain while wearing glasses. It's almost an institution in the Scottish Highlands--you're kind of glad of the rain, because it keeps the midges away.

Grant Hutchison
    Now you have reminded me of those damnable midges - anything that kept them away would be understandably welcome.

I don't use a bicycle any more, but back in the day keeping the rain off my glasses involved cinching the hood on my waterproofs tight around my face over a long-billed baseball cap. I also had a nice little pair of "rain gloves" with a chamois pad on the palmar side of the first thumb joint--it tended to stay fairly dry while gripping the handlebars, but wiped my glasses very effectively if needed.
    With helmets being sensibly de rigeur these days, I see spectacle wearers using long clip-on sun-visors, combined with rock-climber style waterproof jackets, which have oversized hoods that go over a helmet. A bespectacled buddy of mine who cycles cross-country in awful weather swears by a wrap-round hydrophobic eye-shield sort of thing, though I've never seen it in use.

Grant Hutchison

I don't bicycle either, and it hasn't rained here in much too long. But I still have trouble seeing through my glasses because they fog up while I'm wearing a mask. Fortunately they have only a little correction since my cataract surgery and I can just take them off.

Now I am retired I don't ride in the rain if at all possible. When I used to ride to work I would give the ride a miss if it was already raining heavily before I left home or work. I could always catch a bus if I decided not to ride back home - wimpy I know. If it rained while I was already riding I just rode through it. Luckily in winter it is usually not too cold when it rains during the day - probably around 12 or 14 C - so it is not that uncomfortable. I could probably ride without my glasses in an emergency but I would certainly be very cautious and slow in doing so.

Conversely, if it is going to be above 35 C I will also not ride.

Bike helmets have been compulsory here since the early 1990's. I have worn one, not the same one, since the 1980's.

I don't bicycle either, and it hasn't rained here in much too long. But I still have trouble seeing through my glasses because they fog up while I'm wearing a mask. Fortunately they have only a little correction since my cataract surgery and I can just take them off.
    Getting a mask with a malleable nasal strip is well worth doing, if you don't have any already, and then carefully pinching it into place so that it conforms to your nasal bridge. You also need to have the upper edge of the mask pulled tight across your cheek bones, which with these damned elasticated ear loops takes a bit of experimentation. (You can get masks with toggles on the ear loops to adjust their size--my wife has a couple.)
    Anyway, I wore surgical masks and spectacles together for many years, sometimes in such hot conditions that sweat was running down my face, and of course unable to touch my face or mask because of sterile gloves. It became second nature to pull the mask tight along its top edge when I put it on, and then to crimp the metal strip to produce a really snug fit. I never had a problem with fogging once I got the hang of that.

Grant Hutchison