Page 450 of 455 FirstFirst ... 350400440448449450451452 ... LastLast
Results 13,471 to 13,500 of 13641

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Does any other virus do the wait-&-reappear thing? I never heard of the concept before some TV commercials about shingles started claiming it was possible several years ago.
    It's called latency, and several viruses do it. You can find a table here. The viral genome just sits in the infected cell, but doesn't drive the production of more virions. After years it can reactivate, entering what's called the lytic phase, driving the cell to produce virions and then burst open. Some viruses have particular genes that facilitate the latency phase, for instance preventing the normal self-destruction of cells at the end of their useful life. The virus can go latent in cells that are reproducing, passing their genes through cell generations; or, in the case of chickenpox, take up residence in very long-live cells. From an evolutionary point of view, it's a way of making sure virus reproduction doesn't necessarily end when the host mounts an immune response. The virus just hangs around, hiding from the immune system, and then reactivates when immune memory wanes. Our DNA is actually stuffed with old damaged partial viral genomes, which have made their way into the reproductive cells and are now passed on from generation to generation.

And what makes the symptoms different between the two rounds of the same virus?
    Chickenpox is primarily a respiratory infection, so it gets in through the lungs and spreads in the blood, producing the scabby skin lesions that then shed virus into the air for others to breathe in. But once it reactivates in a sensory nerve, it reaches the skin by travelling down to the nerve endings--so it only affects that part of the skin innervated by the nerve in which it was latent. Generally, the immune system is able to confine the virus so it doesn't spread around the body again--but if you have a severely compromised immune system, you can get all sorts of unpleasant systemic effects.

Grant Hutchison

And speaking of batteries....
    I went to town and got 9V's for the remaining four units. And then the next one I opened the lid on had a pair of AA's. The next one was another 9V, then two more with AA's. What the heck?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    And speaking of batteries....
    I went to town and got 9V's for the remaining four units. And then the next one I opened the lid on had a pair of AA's. The next one was another 9V, then two more with AA's. What the heck?
    Ugh, just been on the ladder again. Shortly after I typed the above, it started chirping again. So I got up and replaced the battery a second time, the first one having been one I found in a drawer. Stopped chirping for the time being. I also discovered that in addition to the batteries, there are two types of covers on them. The 9V ones have one little vent, the AA ones have two. I'm wondering if the ones with two vents also do CO.

My neck hurts from looking up, and you know how much I like being on ladders and such!

I shall now look in the big book of instructions the builders gave us and see if there are any for the smoke detectors. I don't think there are.

And again, this time the one in the bedroom before we even got up, with both chirping and a human voice saying "low battery". We've got no instructions for them or even what model they are.
    It's beyond trivial for me now, I was literally shaking after this last battery change.

And again, this time the one in the bedroom before we even got up, with both chirping and a human voice saying "low battery". We've got no instructions for them or even what model they are.
    It's beyond trivial for me now, I was literally shaking after this last battery change.
    This is a long shot but...in our community the local fire department will change and check smoke detectors for residents over 65 years in age. We just have to call them (and it generates quite a buzz in the neighborhood when a giant ladder truck shows up. )

We're trying to enroll Simon in his new school, which starts next Wednesday. The last piece of paperwork we need is his birth certificate . . . which we cannot find. It isn't filed away with the other papers. His sister's is. Both their Social Security cards are there. But his birth certificate is missing, and we'll probably need to get a replacement. Fortunately, it doesn't take very long to do so, but it's still not just a pain but a theoretically unnecessary one.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The only sport I have any interest in watching will start its next season in a few weeks, and there's no way to consistently watch the only team I would watch from where I live... at least not for a sane price and under sane conditions.

I have no cable or satellite TV service. I do have an antenna, so I could watch whatever games are shown by my local network affiliates, but that often won't include my team, which is based where I grew up, a thousand miles away. And one of those stations has an inconsistent signal here. And some games are on a network that doesn't get broadcast anywhere; it only exists on cable & satellite services.

I could sign up for cable or satellite service, but they'd still only give me the local station for each network, instead of a list of all games on each network to choose from. And the satellite ones will only do 2-year contracts, and they'd have me waiting for hardware. (I expect there'd probably still be time for that to arrive, but then I'd need to find a way to install it.) There's an extra service you can add to one of those, which does give you the choice of any & all games, but it costs extra on top of the price for all the standard TV channels. And it's only available through one provider, and that's a satellite service with 2-year contracts and extra hardware to install.

All of the networks that show at least some games have their own separate streaming services, but the two that show the most will only show what my local network affiliates show, and I'd need to use my cable/satellite account information to log in to them, and if I had that, I could see the same games anyway without using this.

The league has its own service that lets anyone who signs up watch any game, but only on tablets, phones, or TVs that have another separate gadget connected like a Roku. I wouldn't be able to do it on my computer (which can use the TV as a second monitor). I suppose I could get one of those TV gadgets, but then, even presuming the hardware arrives in time, I'd need to go through setup and learn how it works, and they probably all either only have long-term contracts. (And at least one probably already comes with all the games anyway so this league service wouldn't be necessary if I had the right one.) I do have a tablet, but it's only 10" and I'd need to find a way to put it down where I can easily see it, and I'd need to get Wi-Fi to use it for this, which I have no interest in otherwise. And all this is for a service that only makes the games watchable after they're over, and puts each one's final score on the link you must press to watch it.

My ISP is through cable. I think I'll end up adding TV to that account and just not seeing some of the games.

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Roku is very easy to setup and use. You need a good WiFi connection but itís very much plug and play. And there are many free streaming services plus the pay services. The Roku Streaming Stick is about $40 or so but thatís the only Roku cost.

I'm annoyed by people who because of round-the-clock participation in games can't communicate with live people. This creates a lot of difficulties.

The Tour de France is belatedly in progress. My wife loves watching it, but because the broadcast starts in the wee hours in our time zone, we record it on the DVR. After watching yesterday's race last evening, she went to record today's but it wasn't listed in the channel guide. We finally decided to just go ahead and record the shows that were listed instead. Yup, the race is on, just the cable company or NBC has messed it up.

Speaking of DVR, for some reason, our 6PM local news always starts early by one or two minutes. The DVR always misses the beginning of the lead (lede?) story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Speaking of DVR, for some reason, our 6PM local news always starts early by one or two minutes. The DVR always misses the beginning of the lead (lede?) story.
    I remember long ago having an older model DVR that would let you manually set up start time and duration as an option. The newer ones just let you pick a program block, without this flexibility. Also, in the past, you could have set the clock a couple of minutes early, so that the device took 5:58 to be 6:00. Now, however, I'll bet the clock would eventually re-synch itself to some signal.

Technology cuts both ways!

Mrs. Extravoice has a video appointment with her doctor tomorrow morning, so she tried the log-in process this evening.
    WebEx couldn't find the camera. Windows 10 couldn't find the camera, even after a full reboot of the system.
    the only "imaging device" listed in the device manager was the scanner.

After much agonizing, I climbed behind the desk, unplugged the unplug the camera and plugged it into a different USB port.
    Magically, everything began working.

Note that she has been using this camera in the original configuration since March for Zoom meetings at work. That includes several meetings today.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

The Tour de France is belatedly in progress. My wife loves watching it, but because the broadcast starts in the wee hours in our time zone, we record it on the DVR. After watching yesterday's race last evening, she went to record today's but it wasn't listed in the channel guide. We finally decided to just go ahead and record the shows that were listed instead. Yup, the race is on, just the cable company or NBC has messed it up.
    This one of the times our time zone (UTC+8 hrs) comes in very useful. The race usually starts at around 18:30 - 19:30 local time and normally finishes at around midnight. And, luckily, it is on "free to air" TV. We have to do a bit of channel hopping as the broadcast jumps from one channel to another (on the same network) during the evening due to Australian time zones. My wife enjoys it even more than I do and is fully up on the various riders and teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Our DVR starts recording early and stops late. A 30 minutes show records for 33.

That said, there have been shows that regularly ran over. When I noticed that I reset the recording options to add 5 minutes.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Sometimes, I wish I could figure out what people who access my blog are up to. The latest puzzle is someone who accessed my description of a short walk in some very minor Scottish hills seven times on August 30th, each time via a Finnish Google search. Since then, they've turned up on the same page (and no others) about 30 times, using an iPhone over a Sky UK broadband IP address. They never open any of the links or enlarge any of the images--just pop in and pop out again. What's that about?

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Sometimes, I wish I could figure out what people who access my blog are up to. The latest puzzle is someone who accessed my description of a short walk in some very minor Scottish hills seven times on August 30th, each time via a Finnish Google search. Since then, they've turned up on the same page (and no others) about 30 times, using an iPhone over a Sky UK broadband IP address. They never open any of the links or enlarge any of the images--just pop in and pop out again. What's that about?

Grant Hutchison
    The second one sounds like someone found your page on an iphone, but opened a second tab hiding the first. Now when their phone loses connections or switches towers, all the tabs refresh and you get a hit.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    The second one sounds like someone found your page on an iphone, but opened a second tab hiding the first. Now when their phone loses connections or switches towers, all the tabs refresh and you get a hit.
    Always the same Sky broadband IP address? Is that likely with a phone that's moving around and switching towers?

Grant Hutchison

Depends on the area. When I walk to the grocery story, there are easily a dozen places with free wifi. All of them are owned by Spectrum and since the whole plaza was refurbished a couple of years ago, they all have the exact same service and equipment. We don't get much of a choice here. It's Spectrum or Verizon and nothing else. I mention this because before Spectrum came to the area, we had two other service providers. They were bought by Spectrum, but if the customer kept their old equipment, they still show up as the defunct companies in webstats and other things.

There is a lot of stuff that will prevent me from connecting to the Sprint cell phone tower even though I can see it for most of my walk to the grocery store. 3 banks, the laundromat and the school across the street is operating a radio station. It even knocks out my satellite radio.
    Solfe

I guess I'm not following this. All these wifi areas will have different IP addresses. If the phone was switching back and forth between one tower and various wi-fis, with my page open, I'd see the same device accessing the same page from multiple IP addresses in succession, wouldn't I?

Grant Hutchison

I guess I'm not following this. All these wifi areas will have different IP addresses. If the phone was switching back and forth between one tower and various wi-fis, with my page open, I'd see the same device accessing the same page from multiple IP addresses in succession, wouldn't I?

Grant Hutchison
    IP addresses are assigned by phone carrier. Merely changing from one hot spot to another doesn't change IP addresses, nor does switching towers. You can do it manually by selecting "renew lease" on your phone, but that simply gives you the next available IP address from a list, which might be the exact same one you had. Carriers also need to load balance and do maintenance, which does reassign your IP address from a list but the list is smaller than you'd think because the carrier assigns them by network topology. This might be linked to geography (or not). For example, the village of Bosemanville has one phone carrier and one internet access provider. They apparently have just 3 IP addresses for the whole village between the two companies.

In the case of wifi, a lot of places have dynamic IP addresses because a static IP is resource and it costs money. So, the plaza across the street from my house is on one service provider and that provider only have so many IP addresses available for that region. As near as I can tell, it's just one.

There is also the situation of "what IP address to you mean?" Generally, the phone carrier's IP address is the one you see. However, there are times when you see a wifi hotspot's IP address (say, when that signal is better and in use). There are a couple of bonus situations where people don't have a carrier but have a phone, or phone carriers also provides hotspot services in addition to phone service. When you have no plan, the website analytics will report "no IP set" or the wifi hotspot IP. When the person is in an environment where they have a carrier which is the same as local hotspot providers, which you get depends on luck and user settings.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Merely changing from one hot spot to another doesn't change IP addresses, nor does switching towers.
    According to my understanding and experience, that isn't true in the UK.

Grant Hutchison

The league has its own service that lets anyone who signs up watch any game, but only on tablets, phones, or TVs that have another separate gadget connected like a Roku. I wouldn't be able to do it on my computer (which can use the TV as a second monitor)... I do have a tablet, but it's only 10" and I'd need to find a way to put it down where I can easily see it, and I'd need to get Wi-Fi to use it for this, which I have no interest in otherwise. And all this is for a service that only makes the games watchable after they're over, and puts each one's final score on the link you must press to watch it.
    Now it turns out that there is a version that runs on ordinary desktop/laptop computers, and that version even has a toggle switch to turn off the stupid final scores on the links to watch the games. It's just very well hidden. There's a link to it, but it's not labelled properly to tell you that's what the link will do, and it's surrounded by giant screaming billboards about the options being just phone, tablet, or any one of these several particular TV devices. And you need to be logged in to even get that link at all, so somebody who hasn't already signed up would never know that that option is in there if you do. (I used this last year when I was in a hotel for most of the season, and my old account hasn't expired; I actually found this option by taking one more look around in there when I was about to cancel precisely because of the lack of this option.)

Avoiding telling your current customers they can do something they really can do, and absolutely not telling potential new customers they can get something they really can get: that's really odd marketing.

That makes it another example of another "bugs me" pattern. A lot of things these days seem to be trying to force us to use our phones for absolutely everything whether we want to (and can for that matter) or not. Either that will be the only way they're set up to work at all, or, even more bizarrely, they'll set up a few different possible routes but then push the phone-based one at us so hard that it's practically impossible to find the others. I even found one once that seemed to be programmed to detect whether it was on a phone or tablet and deliberately not work properly if on a tablet.

I very much enjoy the webcomic Questionable Content, to the extent that it's the first thing I click on when I come in to the computer in the morning. I was looking forward this morning to the reveal of May's new robot body. And....the site's down.

Also bugs me: I just caught myself typing "sight" instead of "site". Sight, site, cite. I can't tell you how much I dislike homophones. Eye type them awl the thyme.

That makes it another example of another "bugs me" pattern. A lot of things these days seem to be trying to force us to use our phones for absolutely everything whether we want to (and can for that matter) or not.
    I went out to a pub with a friend last night, for the first time since the Current Unpleasantness began. We had to use our phones to register contact details for test-and-trace purposes, and then had to download an app so that we could order and pay for drinks. I came within an ace of ordering two draught beers delivered to my home address, rather than to the table five metres from the bar, where we were sitting--the complexity of the interface certainly functions as some sort of sobriety test.

And, as a marvellous example of the surveillance society these damn devices create, our partners were able to sit at home and keep track of our drinking choices, from the confirmatory emails sent out each time we placed an order. They found this hilarious, of course, and now insist we always go to the same bar in future.

Grant Hutchison

And, as a marvellous example of the surveillance society these damn devices create, our partners were able to sit at home and keep track of our drinking choices, from the confirmatory emails sent out each time we placed an order. They found this hilarious, of course, and now insist we always go to the same bar in future.
    Big Brother Is Watching You... for $19.98 a month.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

So they're getting emails because you're ordering on their credit/debit card, or for some other reason?
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    So they're getting emails because you're ordering on their credit/debit card, or for some other reason?
    Because we each have a joint email account with our partner.

Grant Hutchison

Because we each have a joint email account with our partner.

Grant Hutchison
    Ah, I see.

One of my relatives does this. The result is, I get an email with headers indicating it is from one person, and a signature indicating it is from someone else.
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    Ah, I see.

One of my relatives does this. The result is, I get an email with headers indicating it is from one person, and a signature indicating it is from someone else.
    Well, our joint email has two aliases--one for me, one for my wife. So it's clear who the email comes from, and for whom it's intended, but they both end up in the same inbox. Common enough, I think.
    So my wife could see Brewdog confirmatory emails arriving during the course of the evening.

Grant Hutchison