Page 509 of 519 FirstFirst ... 9409459499507508509510511 ... LastLast
Results 15,241 to 15,270 of 15561

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post

This is the glue that I am talking about.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/protek-5...pipes_p4750119
    The stuff I use is more like this:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/icon-pla...ement_p4770910

More expensive per unit, but I've used some a year or two after last using and it's been fine.

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/marley-mc...-tube_p0186775

Wouldn't shock me if it's the same thing with a different name.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    The stuff I use is more like this:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/icon-pla...ement_p4770910

More expensive per unit, but I've used some a year or two after last using and it's been fine.

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/marley-mc...-tube_p0186775

Wouldn't shock me if it's the same thing with a different name.
    Interesting, the Marley's one seems to be only available in NZ. The Icon brand appears to reside in the guttering section. I will have to a look for it when the bottle of 'normal' solvent I bought yesterday goes hard.

Profloater - the pipes I have to glue are very much low pressure so nothing too radical is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Now an item that does bug me, and a recommendation: Don’t buy videos on Amazon Prime. I’m not talking about DVDs/physical media but their online videos. I’ve only done it once, for a movie I bought on my birthday, wanted to see immediately, and thought that rather than rent it that I would buy it so I could watch it again. Some time later when I went back to watch it, it was gone. It turns out that even when you buy a video there, they still eventually lose rights to even offer the video for access. So consider a “purchase” to simply be an extended rental, and unless you expect to watch it several times, it is cheaper to rent each time or buy a DVD they can’t take away from you.
    Interestingly, I just had a friend say the other day that this doesn't happen once you've actually bought something. I'll have to let him know. This is why I buy physical media, though.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I know there was a legal case brought against Amazon in the USA for exactly this situation. (ETA: here's the story.)

But it's in the T&Cs, apparently. I can't access them myself, for obvious reasons, but they're quoted in a New York Times blog post here.
    Availability of Purchased Digital Content. Purchased Digital Content will generally continue to be available to you for download or streaming from the Service, as applicable, but may become unavailable due to potential content provider licensing restrictions or for other reasons, and Amazon will not be liable to you if Purchased Digital Content becomes unavailable for further download or streaming.
    (Bold by the blog author.)

It makes complete sense that digital content providers are occasionally going to shift streaming platforms, if they get a better offer from someone who wants to buy exclusive rights. The issue is really if it's false advertising for streaming platforms to claim that you can "buy" any movie or show that they don't actually own themselves.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Interestingly, I just had a friend say the other day that this doesn't happen once you've actually bought something. I'll have to let him know. This is why I buy physical media, though.
    Yes, it definitely happens. As a note, I “bought” the video on a birthday a few years ago, they didn’t immediately drop it, but then again I don’t know exactly when it became unavailable either, since I hadn’t tried to watch it for awhile. I’m not that bothered because it’s just the one, but I won’t “buy” a video from them again.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    It makes complete sense that digital content providers are occasionally going to shift streaming platforms, if they get a better offer from someone who wants to buy exclusive rights.
    They try to suggest it only happens occasionally, but my impression is that most videos aside from the ones they own themselves (either things they clearly produce themselves or where they buy the company, like how Amazon is buying MGM) will become unavailable on a platform sooner or later as rights change hands.

The issue is really if it's false advertising for streaming platforms to claim that you can "buy" any movie or show that they don't actually own themselves.
    Exactly. You aren’t purchasing a movie, just a right to access it as long as they make it available. Ideally they should have a clear disclaimer (not something you have to look up in fine print) or word things differently on screen. Of course they won’t do that unless they are successfully sued or required to by law or regulation.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

As I always say, it’s much harder for them to break into your house and steal your DVDs.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

I'm still sick. My employer wants another Covid test, as does my doctor. Fine, but this is too much. I had one regular and one rapid, this one will be another regular test which seems to be better at picking up variants.

I'm not catching Covid at home. Aside from the testing place, I haven't been anywhere.

I'm pretty sure I have pneumonia. I have a chest X-ray scheduled next week. I'm taking some wacky antibiotics already. It's gotta be pneumonia.
    Solfe

I’m reading still another story (a novel in this case, from a major publisher) where a spacecraft capable of easily reaching a very high velocity and long runs of acceleration at 1 g or even more is doing an aerobraking maneuver around a planet to slow down. This is after it has already been slowing down, in space, from a high fraction of the speed of light.

Why is it so hard to understand that aerobraking makes sense if your velocity is relatively low and your ability to change velocity is extremely limited (as with current chemical rockets) but it is irrelevant at best if you can just use your super duper fusion or other advanced space drive to massively alter your velocity?

This sort of thing just destroys a story’s verisimilitude.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I’m reading still another story (a novel in this case, from a major publisher) where a spacecraft capable of easily reaching a very high velocity and long runs of acceleration at 1 g or even more is doing an aerobraking maneuver around a planet to slow down. This is after it has already been slowing down, in space, from a high fraction of the speed of light.

Why is it so hard to understand that aerobraking makes sense if your velocity is relatively low and your ability to change velocity is extremely limited (as with current chemical rockets) but it is irrelevant at best if you can just use your super duper fusion or other advanced space drive to massively alter your velocity?

Well, clearly they’re cheapskates eager to save every last bit of energy, like people who never push the gas pedal when going downhill!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Many, many things, hopefully over the next few days I can I figure out a solution to a few of them.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I bought a new PC last June and as well as a 4 TB HDD it has a 500GB SSD to act as the boot drive. Unfortunately, last week my PC went into a death spiral and ended up only telling me that it had a Fatal Error. It turns out that the SSD had died - fairly unusual I gather. It was replaced under warranty and I didn't lose any data as such but I have had to reset all the preferences I had created over the last few months.

It strikes me that this is a variation on the retro-burn to get out of orbit, but then never turning the engines off the whole way down. If you have a magic fuel source, you can but wouldn't want that many gees for so long. Even the reusable rockets turn off their engines to land on their tails. It's 99.999% about saving fuel but that last .001 is prevent gee-loads that wreck rockets.

One time I did the math (correctly!) to see exactly the speeds and times involved to go from from 0ish to the speed of light at 1 gee. The ability to do so would be boring because you're simply moving at 1 gee. It would be less exciting that riding in an elevator.

What you need to go multiples of the speed of light to get an exciting ride, which seems to be unsupported by the universe. The crew would be pulped by any number of things involved with avoiding hazards at that acceleration, like a school bus trying to fly backwards and upside down. It doesn't work. The the impossible fuel and power needs is totally secondary to the first problem of gee forces and the lack of knowledge about what is in your path.
    Solfe

Hmm. Weirdness this morning. I somehow double posted. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2021-Oct-14 at 12:40 PM.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Hmm. Weirdness this morning. I somehow double posted. Sorry about that.
    Been happening a lot here lately.

Meanwhile, I am currently DeScaling the DeLonghi espresso machine. I decided to have a cup of half-caf from the Keurig in the meantime. It took a long time to drip through, guess I'll do that one next.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Yesterday, I tried to buy a spiced cider. They gave me a spiced cider coffee instead.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Yesterday, I tried to buy a spiced cider. They gave me a spiced cider coffee instead.
    I’ve never heard of spiced cider coffee. It sounds strange. Did they misunderstand what you asked or do they only serve coffee?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

As long as it's not spiced spider, which is what I read...
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

I’ve never heard of spiced cider coffee. It sounds strange. Did they misunderstand what you asked or do they only serve coffee?
    Well, it was Starbucks, and they're trying a new thing. I guess they thought I'd want to try it, too. I did not, as I do not like coffee. Fortunately, Graham doesn't mind reheated coffee, and he drank it, so it wasn't wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    As long as it's not spiced spider, which is what I read...
    My best friend and I have referred to it for years as "siced spiders," because one of us used that spoonerism when we were roommates in college.

"You can't erase icing."

Well, it was Starbucks, and they're trying a new thing. I guess they thought I'd want to try it, too. I did not, as I do not like coffee. Fortunately, Graham doesn't mind reheated coffee, and he drank it, so it wasn't wasted.
    I'm not sure if I've ever been in a Starbuck's (I like coffee, but not coffee-houses, so they all kind of blur into one). I do seem to remember an announcement that they were going to serve alcohol somewhere in the UK (airports, maybe?). Do they do it commonly in the USA?

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

I'm not sure if I've ever been in a Starbuck's (I like coffee, but not coffee-houses, so they all kind of blur into one). I do seem to remember an announcement that they were going to serve alcohol somewhere in the UK (airports, maybe?). Do they do it commonly in the USA?
    I’ve never seen it, but I looked it up and they are serving beer and wine at some locations. I have the impression it isn’t common as there are extra hoops restaurants have to go through to serve alcohol.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I'm just watching this EmmyMade video. She's in Seattle.
    It's the Pike Place Market, Emmy. Pike. Not "Pikes".
    You've outed yourself as a tourist.

Grant Hutchison
    I've never seen it at a Starbucks, but a lot of shops serve coffee, wine and beer around Buffalo. It's usually a little hard to determine which is doing what. Café Aroma started off serving coffee, but added alcohol at some point. Buffalo Brewpub started as a bar but now has full service dinning, which includes great coffee. Sometimes you can't tell what the place started as, there is a baker on Delaware that has wine in the evening, coffee all day. To be honest, I think the address (but not the current owner) had bar, bakery, café and coffee shop at various times.

In the early days of the pandemic, we got carry out alcohol so a lot of places got a liquor license. It is more common to see alcohol served food as opposed to coffee. Perhaps restaurants have more the space and gear necessary to store and serve alcohol?
    Solfe

Ok, this is really kind of stupid. I've been reading the 9 Chickweed Lane comic for years. They've got a little story arc going in which the character "Thorax" is reminiscing about his experiences as a volunteer in the RAF in WWII. His job is to entertain a female German spy and feed her disinformation. He asks if he'll be flying and is told pilots must have perfect eyesight:
    https://www.gocomics.com/9chickweedlane/2021/10/12

Then they take his picture in front of a plane. Actually, in front of a painted backdrop of a plane:
    https://www.gocomics.com/9chickweedlane/2021/10/18

With his glasses on. Surely the Germans must know about the perfect eyesight thing!

ETA: The fact that he'd have to be about 100 years old now is a bit annoying as well. Then again, he's a self-professed alien.

It's been 8 years and I still don't know What Does the Fox Say.

I'm going to just file this next to that thing Meatloaf Won't Do.
    Solfe

The things that Meat Loaf won't do are actually listed in the song.
    (Which is, literally, the only thing I know about Meat Loaf--this orphan piece of knowledge fell into my life one day during a discussion about misleading use of conjunctions.)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Just about the Meatloaf thing (as a fan), the song is a bit weird, because at times it doesn’t make sense logically. Maybe that’s what Grant was referring to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Just about the Meatloaf thing (as a fan), the song is a bit weird, because at times it doesn’t make sense logically. Maybe that’s what Grant was referring to.
    Well, it was a long time ago, but I went and checked the lyrics, and it nudged my memory of the conversation.
    And I would do anything for love,
    I'd run right into hell and back
    I would do anything for love,
    I'll never lie to you and that's a fact

But I'll never forget the way you feel right now,
    Oh no, no way.
    And I would do anything for love,
    But I won't do that
    No I won't do that
    So the stuff in red is the stuff that falls into the category of "doing anything for love", and the bit in blue is what he'd never do, which is a separate issue from "anything for love". The matched "buts" are cluing us in that there's a new category of information coming along, about the same topic: "I like to drive really fast, but I don't break the speed limit in town."
    The discussion that brought all this to my attention was a pub debate about whether Mr Loaf's meaning would have been clearer (or not) if he'd sung "And I won't do that." To me, the matching of the "buts" makes the meaning crystal clear as it is, but there seemed to be a body of opinion in favour of "and", which to me would have made things harder to understand.

ETA: I think the problem arises because people seem to try to parse the lyrics as if they're about "I would do anything". But they're about "I would do any of the things that people do (or claim they might do) for love." And it's obvious that "forgetting the way you feel right now" may be an example of "anything", but it's not an example of "anything you'd do for the person you love". It is, instead, an example of a thing you would never do for the person you love.
    So the song is a list of positive love-related items that Mr Loaf is prepared to do, intercalated with negative love-related items that he won't do.
    I don't really see what the conceptual, logical or grammatical problem is.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2021-Oct-20 at 01:01 AM.
    Blog

With the logic, I was thinking of this verse (and another later on) where Steinman writes:

But I'll never forgive myself if we don't go all the way tonight,
    I will do anything for love, Oh I will do anything for love, Oh I will do anything for love,
    But I won't do that.

So he won't forgive himself? And in any case, what does forgiving himself have to do with "for love"...

But in the end, to me at least, it's just a song, not an exercise in logic.
    As above, so below

...in other words, the things he'll never do wouldn't be for love if they were done; they'd be neutral to it or against it... which appears to be why he'll never do them.

But he located them a few (slow) lines away from the "but I won't do that", and separating a reference from a referent isn't a good plan. When a reference doesn't have a referent close enough, they feel like they're separate and unconnected, which makes the reference feel like it lacks a referent entirely.