Page 519 of 519 FirstFirst ... 19419469509517518519
Results 15,541 to 15,561 of 15561

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Aside from fuel injection and EVs, what are engines using besides carburetors? Not including diesels.
    All modern gasoline cars have fuel injection. It's easier to do emission control. The truck was a 1988.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

One thing with carburetors is that, if you don't have the equipment to set them up correctly, you can adjust them in a way that will damage the engine over time without it immediately being clear as it appears to run right. It takes proper expertise to diagnose more subtle lean/rich issues if you don't have a rolling road and gas analyser. That's also the thing about balancing carburetors: you set them all the same, but not necessarily right. So from a liability point of view, I understand why some shops without all the tools and expertise would rather not touch them.

Then again, there's my garage who managed to destroy an injector when doing routine injector cleaning and subsequently failing to diagnose the problem -even denying any problem- 4 TIMES when I returned it afterward. I've had to sit the manager in my car and do a literal drag race with an identical car to convince him that mine was suddenly massively down on power. "but the computer doesn't..." AIR FUEL SPARK. That is your job. Not "the computer". It's a diesel, so you can get away with AIR FUEL. Not that hard. Meanwhile they had already replaced the entire, perfectly fine, turbo unit - 2 years old- because "the computer said...".

(this was the garage for my company car; I maintain our private cars myself.)
    Last edited by Nicolas; 2021-Dec-03 at 08:10 AM.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I no longer have my Gentry with its SU carbs, the type you have to balance by listening to the hiss, and admit that injection is pretty good , when working properly.
    Carbs were pretty clever by WW2, capable of automatic choking and altitude correction, or flying upside down. And fixed jet types were not so bad either.
    If civilisation collapses, it will be easier to rig up a carb than an injector, if you can get the petrol. Otherwise, I guess it is just museum time.
    But I will keep my, now rare, optical checker that fits in a spark plug hole to see the flame colour, nostalgia.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

My Alpine has a setup with a single barrel for part-throttle situations and a double barrel that starts opening towards full throttle input. You don't need to balance them as it's a shared manifold, but you do need to regulate the entire system so it works nicely throughout the band. Not all mechanics can or want to have a go at that. Neither can I, but I hope to learn by the time the car is ready to run.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I'll be climbing up and down a three-metre stepladder with paint swatches (first in daylight, then in electric light) for quite some time to come, I suspect.
    Have you considered chipping off some of the existing paint so you can make the comparison on the ground in more comfort and safety?
    I realize that making the visual disparity worse might be stressful, of course, but maybe there's a location on the ceiling where it could be done easily and with less obtrusiveness.
    Selden

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    My Alpine has a setup with a single barrel for part-throttle situations and a double barrel that starts opening towards full throttle input. You don't need to balance them as it's a shared manifold, but you do need to regulate the entire system so it works nicely throughout the band. Not all mechanics can or want to have a go at that. Neither can I, but I hope to learn by the time the car is ready to run.
    Do you cheer for the Alpine team in Formula 1? Or for Max Verstappen?

Is that a Sunbeam Alpine?
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

@Trebuchet Max, Son Of Jos primarily. I cheer for the increased brand recognition and as such value that the Alpine team generates for my car though.

@profloater: I'm talking about an Alpine A310 V6. Not sure if a Sunbeam would like have a 2.7 litre V6 scooped in...

@Trebuchet Max, Son Of Jos primarily. I cheer for the increased brand recognition and as such value that the Alpine team generates for my car though.

@profloater: I'm talking about an Alpine A310 V6. Not sure if a Sunbeam would like have a 2.7 litre V6 scooped in...
    Well it did have a 4.3 litre V8 and eventually a 4.7 litre V8 dropped into the Sunbeam Tiger version! But your Alpine is a lovely vehicle.

Oh, In my youth I had a few SunbeamTalbots, and one was a 90 mark two Alpine, from about 1954. Anyway, enjoy your Alpine.!
    sicut vis videre esto

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Well it did have a 4.3 litre V8 and eventually a 4.7 litre V8 dropped into the Sunbeam Tiger version! But your Alpine is a lovely vehicle.
    And speaking of Max, Maxwell Smart drove a Tiger!

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Well it did have a 4.3 litre V8 and eventually a 4.7 litre V8 dropped into the Sunbeam Tiger version!
    Indeed it did, crazy! That would make a V6 swap very reasonable in comparison. But the regular version we got on this side of the ocean had to do with 80-90hp engines. Which is one of the reasons I never cared too much for them, even though they were one of the last very affordable oldtimers you could buy here in recent years (and before you ask, engine swaps are illegal here so DIY dropping in a V8 of a size that would make my undertaker smile can't be done unless it's a track-only car).

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    And speaking of Max, Maxwell Smart drove a Tiger!
    One of my favourite shows from my youth. His Tiger is the one I always think of first when discussing Sunbeams. (From memory only he went onto a VW Karmann Ghia and then a Corvette(?). NO - I had to look it up and he drove a Ferrari 250 PF Cabriolet in the Pilot episode, then the Tiger (but it was apparently often a fake Tiger as they couldn't fit the fake machine gun under the bonnet with the V8 so they mostly used the normal 4 cylinder Alpine and changed the badges over. I was correct that he then drove a Karmann Ghia but his last regular car was a 1969 Opel GT - a lot of European cars for an American super spy!)

https://www.tunnelram.net/news-blog/...get-smart-cars
    Last edited by ozduck; Yesterday at 05:20 AM.

My sister is an insane gearhead. She pulled the carbureted engine on my 1979 Mustang and replaced it with a larger, fuel injected engine. One day I was having car trouble. She popped the hood and shouted, "Where the heck is the carburetor?"

When I pointed out that she pulled the whole engine and replaced it, she crawled under the car muttering, "Yeah. I do that a lot."

I don't know very much about cars. It makes me wonder if we weren't switched at the hospital or something. It'd be reasonable for me to know a tiny bit more than what I do, but no.
    Solfe

As a corollary to the the above story, you might wonder why she went under the car when she initially thought "carbonator".

She got creative with the electrical system when swapping the engine. The car had a bad fuel gauge, it always read full. She swapped it out but then discovered that if you removed the passenger seat and didn't have a bottle of nitrous installed (empty or full, it didn't matter), the engine wouldn't start. That made her put the bad fuel gauge back in. The only way to tell if the car had gas was to tap the fuel tank.

It was a flying death trap.
    Solfe

I am getting sick and tired of a couple of games I have been playing for years and really afford any new ones and don't really know about any of the new ones.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Board or computer?

Computer, Civ3 and Star Wars :Empire at War.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    My sister is an insane gearhead. She pulled the carbureted engine on my 1979 Mustang and replaced it with a larger, fuel injected engine. One day I was having car trouble. She popped the hood and shouted, "Where the heck is the carburetor?"

When I pointed out that she pulled the whole engine and replaced it, she crawled under the car muttering, "Yeah. I do that a lot."

I don't know very much about cars. It makes me wonder if we weren't switched at the hospital or something. It'd be reasonable for me to know a tiny bit more than what I do, but no.
    The main reason I sold my Gentry based on a Triumph vitesse straight six, was repeated failures I kept thinking was carburation. I blamed ethanol in the fuel, overheating, and then on the day it was to sell, I checked the distributor. Then I noticed the centre seemed too low, so I bent upwards the rotor contact. Finally I realised the heating was opening up that contact gap enough to stop the car. When cooled it ran again. All fixed by a ten second tweak after more than a year of being stuck in a belief. The new owner had no problems, last I heard.
    sicut vis videre esto

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I am getting sick and tired of a couple of games I have been playing for years and really afford any new ones and don't really know about any of the new ones.
    Have you considered doing a retro-computing dive? Civ3/Gold is kind of a product of an age as is that Star Wars series. Emulation is possible cheaply, but I really suggest hunting down old hardware and bringing it back to life.

Viruses of the 90s weren't so bad, it was just that no one had up to date filters that killed machines. That and every teenager using Limewire to directly download all of the viruses. ALL of them!

Oh, god. Limewire.

There was a little company Ambrosia Software that made dozens of titles. They are gone now, but some of it is available on abandonware sites. If that isn't your thing, the game Ares had a code release and seems to be public domain or at least free to use.
    Solfe

We do have an old dell pc that the hard drive went bad on, I actually got a flash update or fix for the hard drive on a thumb drive, The only thing on it that my mother wants is something my niece wrote on it. But I do have some old Star War games but now maybe I should see about getting an old hard drive to replace the faulty one.