Page 432 of 440 FirstFirst ... 332382422430431432433434 ... LastLast
Results 12,931 to 12,960 of 13186

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    An end cap on a windshield wiper has fallen off, so now the rubber strip and the metal stick come apart easily... and I can't replace it, potentially for the rest of spring, because those stores are closed. I might try supergluing them together.

If it's what I imagine, I'd be trying a needle and thread.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

I really wish I was more organized maybe during ll this I will actually do some spring cleaning.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Meanwhile, here in Washington State, people are still getting appliances installed, which means having a stranger about whose health you know nothing in your home.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Meanwhile, here in Washington State, people are still getting appliances installed, which means having a stranger about whose health you know nothing in your home.
    That can probably seen as essential to cook food.
    Ontario now closes non essential businesses that is Canadas largest province population wise.

Yeah, we've just been closed for non-essential business. We'll see if Graham gets sent home. A friend who definitely works in a non-essential store is going to be getting paid for his usual schedule anyway, I've discovered, as their company sent out an e-mail to everyone whose address they have informing us of that. Making it one of the few "here's our response" e-mails I've actually been happy to get.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Yeah, we've just been closed for non-essential business.
    Same here, feel for you.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

I am all for the isolation but it can't be soon enough for it to warm enough to get out the lawn chairs and use the picnic table.

A couple of tech related issues for some reason I can't log onto my favourite online game for the last two days, either denial of service or some pther issue.
    There is a wifi printer downstairs, don't know if it is for here but it has been there since before christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    A couple of tech related issues for some reason I can't log onto my favourite online game for the last two days, either denial of service or some pther issue.
    There is a wifi printer downstairs, don't know if it is for here but it has been there since before christmas.
    Two many people at home when they usually aren't, I'd guess.
    Not understanding the part about the printer.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Two many people at home when they usually aren't, I'd guess.
    Not understanding the part about the printer.
    The printer part it is not setup yet and I could use it.

What bugs me about the game is they upgraded my account for 14 days, and now I can't play it but there are people doing teleconferencing and stuff on the webs slowing things down.

Part of the printer problem is that can't find a place to put it, I don't get around cleaning my stuff partly because of the weird sleep schedule I have. Right now I am seriously thinkiing of working thru the night to get it done but probably fall a sleep in a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Same here, feel for you.
    Apparently, appliance installation is an essential business, so Graham's still working. Hardware stores in general are considered essential to Washington State.

"You can't erase icing."

I am more bemused than upset by this, but one aspect bugs me to no end. Quality customer service is a talent and skill to be developed. Not every one is able to perform it.

Here is the scenario: I take insulin. Insulin comes in an injector, which requires a needle. The needles are not a part of the injector, they are a separate script. I get 30 needles a month. I inject once a day, except for when I switch insulin injectors, which causes me to use two needles. The number of needles to injectors to days in the month are related, but not the same. It causes no end of confusion in planning. So I do tend to look a head to make sure I don't cause myself problems down the line.

This week I noticed that I had far more insulin in my injector than I had needles to use. I figured I forgot to pick up an order of needles, because I usually end up with extra needles at the end of every injector use cycle. Let's attribute blame to me. I went to the pharmacy and explained the situation.

The clerk (not a pharmacist and perhaps not a tech) looked me in the face and said, in a very loud stage whisper: "We were out of injector needles when you picked up your insulin. So, we didn't fill the order and didn't tell you about it."

Oh?

A man behind me belted out something very like "What the heck?!?" but with much more emotion and stronger words.

This conversation carries on for several minutes, as the clerk basically says the wrong thing at every exchange in his booming stage whisper, which everyone in line can here. The guy behind me... and because of this virus thing, I mean more than 20 feet behind me, can hear all of it and is getting riled up on my behalf.

At that point, a pharmacist tech and one of the pharmacists take over for the clerk. The pharmacist calls the guy behind me up to take care of him at a different register, while the tech assists me and the clerk. The tech said all of the right things and we were all smiles as we exchanged a bunch of words like "wonderful", "thank you" and "I am so glad this all worked out". The tech never mentioned any problematical issues and neither did I. The irate customer was totally calm by the time this exchange was over.

After that, I picked up some groceries and left. On my way out, I noticed an angry line of people at the customer service desk, with "my clerk" now attempting to assist customers there. Also standing up there was the formerly irate customer from pharmacy trying to buy lottery tickets. He was irate again. Oh, Jesus.

We really need to acknowledge that some people don't have people skills, we should not not go crazy and put them in front line positions. And when things get rough and those people are in front line positions, we shouldn't chew them up. We need to assume best intentions.
    Solfe

This self isolation/social distancing probably not going to help get the sleep cycle back into order.

For us, the isolation thing is not a whole lot different from how we were living before, except that I don't go to the gym and my wife can't get her hair done. The latter is a serious concern for her.

For us, the isolation thing is not a whole lot different from how we were living before, except that I don't go to the gym and my wife can't get her hair done. The latter is a serious concern for her.
    Houston's Mayor and Harris County's Judge (County Judge is the top elected county official in Texas, doesn't judge anything) jointly issued a Stay At Home order. Hair salons are closed but lawn maintenance companies are considered okay. So in a few weeks we'll have shaggy, long-haired homeowners with beautifully manicured lawns.

Oh, yesterday evening I was putting some stuff in the garage and I heard an ice cream truck going through the neighborhood. Pop goes the weasel!
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

There are certain threads that stress me out every time I see them with new posts. Is there a way to mute threads so they don’t show up under “Unread”?
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

I think my laptops cooling devices are getting a little worn out. At times things just crash and if I leave alone or off for a while it works for a while. I a few things I can be doing with the laptop for good. Maybe I should get serious about cleaning up the scrap metal around here. It could be a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    There are certain threads that stress me out every time I see them with new posts. Is there a way to mute threads so they don’t show up under “Unread”?
    My sympathies. I recall what that was like. I once had occasion to search around for that option myself, but didn't turn up anything. But eventually I found the little flicker of distress moderated into, "Tut, they're still at it."

Grant Hutchison

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I've exercised that option in the other forum, but maybe it was to ignore whole forums.

ETA: Ah, I think I've foound it! Right above the first post on the page, over to the right, it says "Thread tools". Click on that and one of the options is "Unsubscribe to this thread".

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I've exercised that option in the other forum, but maybe it was to ignore whole forums.

ETA: Ah, I think I've foound it! Right above the first post on the page, over to the right, it says "Thread tools". Click on that and one of the options is "Unsubscribe to this thread".
    I see “Subscribe to this thread” as an option, but not “Unsubscribe to this thread”.

I see “Subscribe to this thread” as an option, but not “Unsubscribe to this thread”.
    "Unsubscribe" will only appear if you had previously subscribed to the thread, whether manually or automatically. Unsubscribing will only remove that thread from your list of subscribed threads and disable notifications about that thread. It won't hide threads in What's New, New Posts, or the forums themselves.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    "Unsubscribe" will only appear if you had previously subscribed to the thread, whether manually or automatically. Unsubscribing will only remove that thread from your list of subscribed threads and disable notifications about that thread. It won't hide threads in What's New, New Posts, or the forums themselves.
    That's what I was hoping, that there was a way to mute threads so they wouldn't show up in "What's New" or "New Posts", like muting a channel on Discord.

My rechargeable cordless electric razor recently started refusing to take a full charge. I figured it was battery failure and ordered a new one online. Wouldn't you know, after the order was final the old one somehow recovered.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    My rechargeable cordless electric razor recently started refusing to take a full charge. I figured it was battery failure and ordered a new one online. Wouldn't you know, after the order was final the old one somehow recovered.
    The older type with NiCd batteries age progressively especially when left on charge. They can be kicked into life by high voltage shocks which break down internal shorting needle growths. Modern lithium batteries are very different but I have noticed failures of their so called intelligent chargers which measure temperature or use timing algorithms to avoid overcharging. They can mysteriously come back to life, but are infuriatingly difficult to diy fix. You have to take care with lithium in home made charging (And some “proper” ones), they can catch fire.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

The older computer I mostly use occasionally decides there's no internet. Checking with other devices proves there is. The only cure seems to be rebooting it, which I've just done. Dunno what's causing it.

Also, I ventured out to a supermarket yesterday. This was on their sign:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QFC.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	25049

So I bought some, even though we didn't actually need it. That was kind of dumb.

One thing the Current Unpleasantness has taught me is that people initialize "toilet paper" as "TP". Never seen that before. But I still think, "Twisted Pair? No. Trade Paperback? No ..." every time I see it.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    One thing the Current Unpleasantness has taught me is that people initialize "toilet paper" as "TP". Never seen that before. But I still think, "Twisted Pair? No. Trade Paperback? No ..." every time I see it. Grant Hutchison
    Done this and used PB for peanut butter since 1975.