Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Things I've always wondered

Quote Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
    Nice try, but nope. These eggs I have here don't even live in the refrigerator, just a cupboard. I'm comparing room temperature in northern England 50 years ago with room temperature now, here in Tenerife. Guess which is the higher.
    Evolution?
    Trigger warning - this post may contain information that some members disagree with. It might also end sentences with prepositions.

Why anyone wonders if a tree makes a noise if it falls in the forest, and no human is around to hear (or not).

What's all the white stuff falling from the sky and sticking to the ground in the Christmas films and television shows?
    Trigger warning - this post may contain information that some members disagree with. It might also end sentences with prepositions.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Why anyone wonders if a tree makes a noise if it falls in the forest, and no human is around to hear (or not).
    It's about time somebody said this!

How does organised crime work?

Typical scenario: Scientist builds machine to steal diamonds from supersecure safe. Villain comes round to collect it. As villain is loading it onto his lorry, the scientist says, "And you'll leave the money in a Swiss account?" "Ah yes," says the villain thoughtfully. "The trouble is, you know too much." Villain kills scientist. Villain drives lorry to Crime Boss's secret complex. "Good morning Crime Boss. Here's the supersecure safecracking apparatus. And here's an invoice for safe delivery of supersecure safecracking apparatus, and my hitman fee for successful liquidation of supersecure safecracking scientist."

"Ah yes," says Crime Boss thoughtfully. "Your fee."

After disposing of the Villain's body, Crime Boss attends a meeting with other crime bosses. They conclude that the venture will make them a lot of money, split four ways.

"Four ways?" pipes up a somewhat naive crime boss. "But there are five of us!"

And so it goes.

The thing is, offhand, I cannot think of a single film apart from The Godfather in which somebody actually survives a business transaction, so I have no clear idea of what is "normally" supposed to happen. Similarly, is there ever an exchange of something between two hostile parties that doesn't end in a bloodbath?

I've always wondered why the UN choose October 31 as the date when the world population hit seven billion.

Why is bacon so awesome?

Our moon is stationary. It does not spin on an axis.
    I have always wondered if it is unique in it's lack of spin, celestially.
    Or are there others equally spinless we know of?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Vaxxine View Post
    Our moon is stationary. It does not spin on an axis.
    I have always wondered if it is unique in it's lack of spin, celestially.
    Or are there others equally spinless we know of?
    Er, it does. It takes 27 and a bit days to spin on its axis. Uncoincidentally, that's also the time it takes to orbit around the Earth* once.

I think most moons are similarly tidally locked so that only one hemisphere faces their planet.

*Or rather the common centre of mass of the Earth-Moon system.

I've always wondered why the Tube doesn't work better.

If Harry Potter and his chums are spending all their school hours learning potions, defence against the dark arts and so on, what happens to their "regular" school work? Do they grow up unable to do basic algebra and not knowing where the Himalayas are?

Do spiders suffer from arachnophobia? (Obviously insects don't because phobias are irrational fears.)

Why do people in Westerns talk about hanging people high? Surely it makes no difference so long as their feet aren't touching the ground.

What's the deal with Batman?

Paul Beardsley? Thanks for moon spin correction stuff and info.

I recall a dream I once had that was in colour. Wonder why all my others aren't
    played back in the morning with colour, just that one was.?

Paul Beardsley? Thanks for moon spin correction stuff and info.
    You're welcome.

I recall a dream I once had that was in colour. Wonder why all my others aren't
    played back in the morning with colour, just that one was.?
    I've often heard this said. My dreams are usually in colour. I don't know what is typical.

In the late 1980s I had a girlfriend who was blind - had been blind since her teens. Her dreams were generally in colour. One time she dreamt she'd had an argument with me while we were in a church; as a result of this argument, she was worried that I would not walk her home. In the dream she could see all right while she was inside the church, but still needed my guidance home because she knew she couldn't see. As is often the case in dreams, she was unaware of the contradiction.

She had a friend who had been blind from soon after birth. I asked her friend if she saw in dreams. She said she thought she did - she could look at something and see that it was yellow, for instance - but as she had no concept of what seeing was, she couldn't be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    If Harry Potter and his chums are spending all their school hours learning potions, defence against the dark arts and so on, what happens to their "regular" school work? Do they grow up unable to do basic algebra and not knowing where the Himalayas are?

Do spiders suffer from arachnophobia? (Obviously insects don't because phobias are irrational fears.)

Why do people in Westerns talk about hanging people high? Surely it makes no difference so long as their feet aren't touching the ground.

What's the deal with Batman?
    1) You mean just like in many US public schools?

2) No. For a spider, another spider is just food.

3) Because they were dumb, and didn't know that letting the hangee's feet touch the ground defeated the whole purpose.

4) He's a wealthy vigilante. He also pays guys like the Joker so he has a super-villian to fight.
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

You're welcome.

I've often heard this said. My dreams are usually in colour. I don't know what is typical.

In the late 1980s I had a girlfriend who was blind - had been blind since her teens. Her dreams were generally in colour. One time she dreamt she'd had an argument with me while we were in a church; as a result of this argument, she was worried that I would not walk her home. In the dream she could see all right while she was inside the church, but still needed my guidance home because she knew she couldn't see. As is often the case in dreams, she was unaware of the contradiction.

She had a friend who had been blind from soon after birth. I asked her friend if she saw in dreams. She said she thought she did - she could look at something and see that it was yellow, for instance - but as she had no concept of what seeing was, she couldn't be sure.

Typically my dreams are colourless but full of detail.
    Upon waking up I recall them like we all recall what we did yesterday.
    My wife never remembers dreaming at all, ever !!!

I've always wondered when the true purpose of BAUT will be revealed.

I've always wondered why people continue to believe stupidly wrong things: not just mildly wrong, like "the Earth is flat," but stupidly wrong, like a correlation between a person's latitude of origin and a their intelligence.
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

There has to be a sufficient drop to break the neck cleanly. Otherwise the person being hanged slowly strangles, which was considered cruel and unusual punishment. Some individuals also supposedly had strong enough neck muscles to stay alive a relatively long time on rope's end.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Why were people in westerns so concerned about conducting their executions humanely?

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    There has to be a sufficient drop to break the neck cleanly. Otherwise the person being hanged slowly strangles, which was considered cruel and unusual punishment. Some individuals also supposedly had strong enough neck muscles to stay alive a relatively long time on rope's end.
    Yes, I know. The issue is, the dialogue often tends to imply that the more heinous the crime, the greater the altitude required for the punishment.

I've always wondered why the cats won't get along.

Why did Harry Potter name one of his sons after Severus Snape? Snape was a former Death Eater who sided with Dumbledore only to get revenge against Voldemort for killing Lily who Snape was in love with. That made him a valuable ally but not a nice guy.

I've always wondered who this Harry Potter bloke everyone's talking about is.

I've always wondered whether dancing and "stoopiding" are crimes in San Francisco.

I have always wondered if Nob Hill in SF was named for the community.

I have wondered if it used to be called Knob Hill.

I wonder if Willie Dixon ever went up that hill?

I have no idea what you're talking about, but then, nobody knows everything about everything.

I wonder if Willie Loman ever came down it.

I think Joe Cocker came there once. Made a big splash.