Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 140

Thread: Things I've always wondered

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,330
    What scrap value paper recyclers get
    from the staples they collect!

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    10,440
    American footballs are mostly handled and thrown.....why is the game called Football?

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,021
    You're Engish, I'll humor you: The average football game does have about 20 kicks, whereas of the other American games, baseball and basketball don't have any kicks, and ice hockey doesn't have any ball.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    11,057
    Quote Originally Posted by MAPNUT View Post
    You're Engish, I'll humor you: The average football game does have about 20 kicks, whereas of the other American games, baseball and basketball don't have any kicks, and ice hockey doesn't have any ball.
    This is like justifying those old Man From U.N.C.L.E. films with titles such as "The Spy in the Green Hat" (there is indeed a scene in which an espionage agent is briefly seen to be wearing a verdant headpiece).

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,021
    But that's only one green hat sighting, compared to 20 (twenty) kicks! And there are only about 60 passes and 40 handoffs per game (i.e. kick-free plays). Also players, referees and replay officials devote great attention to whether a player's feet are in bounds. So feet are important if one has the ball. Oh, and then there's the occasional stomp.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    11,057
    But whereas proper football is almost exclusively concerned with kicking a ball (20 kicks would account for seconds of game time), American football is dominated by activity that does not involve contact between foot and ball, and indeed would be considered a foul in its country of origin.

    And why am I even arguing about football? I have zero interest in the sport. Oh yes - it's because I'm patriotic. Today.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Vaxxine View Post
    How did my Mom know what I was about to do?
    You will understand when you have your own kids!

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    Why do they put erasers on the ends of pencils? I'd understand if the things actually worked. They don't, they just leave a smear on the page and you can still see the writing that you supposedly "rubbed out".
    They are made to keep you from chewing the pencil....

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    4,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
    I have always wondered why men put up with the idiotic practice of putting a bathroom mirror above the sink/washbasin. This must be a requirement for women, for some reason. I now realize that for decades I have accepted the fact that every day I get a pain in the groin when shaving. Why? Because the most efficient way of shaving is to stand very close to the mirror so that you only need to deal with each part of the face once.
    Well, where would you put the mirror? You obviously need it somewhere.
    In order to do this, you have to bend over the blasted sink, which is of course at exactly the wrong height for an average male homo spapiens.
    An advantage of being short! I never had "pain in the groin" from shaving.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    4,101
    Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander View Post
    How do people actually survive to adulthood, let alone through it, given the evidence I see all the time indicating that most of them are completely unaware of their surroundings and the hazards therein?
    Modern world does not actually have that many hazards.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    Why do Italians always cry when they taste food which is "just like Mama used to make"? Sometimes their mothers aren't even dead. And it's not as if the mothers of other nationals can't cook.?
    I have never seen or heard of that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    What's wrong with enjoying rock music from the 1970s? Nobody seems to have a problem with people reading books from different eras - indeed, it's regarded as a good thing. So how come it's okay to read J.G. Ballard or Dorothy Sayers or P.G. Wodehouse, yet you have to apologise for listening to Pink Floyd? Or is it just me??
    Bold mine: Do ya? Never has happened to me! In general PF is also considered by the younger generation as not beiing bad. (I have nices and nephews in their early 20'ties.
    But you should try some contemporary Rock Music (They just do not play the good stuff in the radio)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    Does anybody actually enjoy films set in high school where everybody's aim in life is to make themselves feel good by making others feel bad?
    Especially if the social cultural enviroment in the schools in ones own country are totally different!

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    4,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    Why do Italians always cry when they taste food which is "just like Mama used to make"? Sometimes their mothers aren't even dead.
    Have you ever seen an actual Italian do that? (As opposed to an actor in a pasta sauce commercial)

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    675
    Why does anyone want to have a twitter account?
    Why is anyone interested what anybody else postes on his/her twitter account?
    Why are there people willing to pay for cell phone ring tones?
    Why wasn't it me who invented twitter, or a company selling ring tones?
    Last edited by AndreH; 2011-Dec-02 at 05:05 PM. Reason: typos

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    11,057
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreH View Post
    Why does anyone want to have a twitter account?
    Why is anyone interested what anybody else postes on his/her twitter account?
    Why are there people willing to pay for cell phone ring tones?
    Why wasn't it me who invented twitter, or a company selling ring tones?
    Sorry, lost interest partway through this post! (Kidding.)

    I agree with you.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    11,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilya View Post
    Have you ever seen an actual Italian do that? (As opposed to an actor in a pasta sauce commercial)
    I seem to remember seeing it happen - but I've seen the stereotype portrayed so often that I can't shake it out of my head now.

    I have an Italian student. I asked him about it today. He was aware of the stereotype, and amused by it, but according to him it's baseless.

  16. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mytho-poetic dreams.
    Posts
    11,944
    Why dumbbells who can't even spell a simple word think they've got a right to question the credentials of highly successful people.

  17. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    R.I. USA
    Posts
    10,014
    Ah.. one solution I occasionally see to the mirror access is an expandable 'criss-cross' type'
    frame support which pulls out from the side and features a magnifying mirror for detailed
    view of your face. It serves us all well, and gives you two free hands for purposes.
    I suppose that you could mount it on a detachable hardware mounting so that you can store it away and out of sight. There's nothing like being able to see up close .

    Best regards,
    Dan

  18. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    11,057
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreH View Post
    Bold mine: Do ya? Never has happened to me! In general PF is also considered by the younger generation as not beiing bad. (I have nices and nephews in their early 20'ties.
    When you're in your late 40s and you work with people in their 20s, you do sometimes get laughed at for listening to bands such as Green Day. (Or perhaps I got laughed at for thinking they were contemporary.) If you listen to Gabriel-era Genesis, which I happen to think is very good, you get told you're stuck in a 1970s time warp.

    Pink Floyd does seem to be very popular outside the UK. I teach English as a Foreign Language, mainly to Arabs, and I've thought about doing a Floyd-themed lesson. Their albums are quite expensive, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by AndreH View Post
    But you should try some contemporary Rock Music (They just do not play the good stuff in the radio)
    TBH I'm not sure what counts as rock these days. In recent years I have bought some just released CDs including Florence and the Machine, and MGMT - do they count? What would you recommend?

  19. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup
    Why dumbbells who can't even spell a simple word think they've got a right to question the credentials of highly successful people.
    Faith in genius. We believe that some people are geniuses but the rest merely accumulate credentials. Its better than the old faith in noble blood. Back in the day you were noble or you were nobody. Now you have to be a genius.

    Why didn't the northern people develop huge hairy feet instead of bond hair and blue eyes?

  20. #50
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    6,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Vaxxine View Post
    How did my Mom know what I was about to do?
    "Go see what your little brother is doing and tell him to stop it."

  21. #51
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    28°10'30"N 16°44'31"W
    Posts
    2,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Why dumbbells who can't even spell a simple word think they've got a right to question the credentials of highly successful people.
    I've wondered this often, and I think the problem is that some people are so stupid they can recognize neither credentials nor success. I have met people who treat all opinions as equally valid, regardless of the authority of the speaker. Come to think of it, this applies to most people I've met.

  22. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    11,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
    I've wondered this often, and I think the problem is that some people are so stupid they can recognize neither credentials nor success.
    A while back I had the job of teaching basic maths and English to 16-24 year olds who had left school without any qualifications. While some were grateful for the second chance, some were too uneducated to appreciate the value of education. "I don't see why I should learn maths - I can just use a calculator."

    Quote Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
    I have met people who treat all opinions as equally valid, regardless of the authority of the speaker. Come to think of it, this applies to most people I've met.
    Some people who hold this view clearly consider themselves enlightened - and anyone who doesn't treat all opinions as equally valid are, in their opinion, arrogant or worse.

  23. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    a long way away
    Posts
    10,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Why dumbbells who can't even spell a simple word think they've got a right to question the credentials of highly successful people.
    It could be an illusory sense of superiority causing overconfidence as described by Dunning and Kruger.

    In short, some people are just not sufficiently competent to realise their own incompetence.

  24. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    When you're in your late 40s and you work with people in their 20s, you do sometimes get laughed at for listening to bands such as Green Day. (Or perhaps I got laughed at for thinking they were contemporary.) If you listen to Gabriel-era Genesis, which I happen to think is very good, you get told you're stuck in a 1970s time warp.
    Well, it greately depends how you define contemporary. For those 20 somethingers Green day was around about when they were born. But a band which still exists and torurs is definetly contemporary by definition.And Green Day released 4 Albums in the last 3 years. So maybe the band was around already when those guys were toddlers but they still are now. For Genesis I would almost agree....but being in your late 40 ies (as myself)_ you have the right to listen to that stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    Pink Floyd does seem to be very popular outside the UK. I teach English as a Foreign Language, mainly to Arabs, and I've thought about doing a Floyd-themed lesson. Their albums are quite expensive, though.
    Pink Floyd are very very popular in Germany, believe me. The generation born in the late 50'ties liked them for there more unconventionel/experimental stuff, those born in the early 60'ties for the Dark Side of The Moon and Wish You Where Here and those born end of the 60'ties mostly for The Wall. The later was an absolute must when I was 10th grade (1980).


    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    TBH I'm not sure what counts as rock these days. In recent years I have bought some just released CDs including Florence and the Machine, and MGMT - do they count? What would you recommend?
    Florence and the Machine is mostly unknown here. Do they count as Rock Music.....hard to tell. Today the "experts" are using to many sub categories TMO. e.g. MGMT is defined as beiing "Indietronic" according to Wikipedia. I have never heard of that category before. I personally would not count them as rock.
    What I like when it comes to newer Rock Music: Nicklback and Lenny Kravitz e.g. On the radio usually only the ballads are played. If you like some harder stuff I would recommend Airbourne, especially the Running Wild album. I am travelling a lot alone in the car, so even I have my classics with me (Lead Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Jimi Hendrix, Dire Straits......) I listen a lot to the radio. If driving for some hours, I start feeling "lonely" if I have no radio DJ inbetween the songs. I find there is a lot of newer stuff which is not to bad even though it is not referred to as rock. I especially like the latest revival of the "female solo soul/club singer".

    ETA: I wrote this post in between 10 e-mails and was logged out automatically 2 times. I hope it is readable

  25. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,021
    If an ambulance carrying a patient is in a collision, can it leave the scene?

    (Just saw one almost happen on West 34th Street.)

  26. #56
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    10,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    Why do Italians always cry when they taste food which is "just like Mama used to make"? Sometimes their mothers aren't even dead. And it's not as if the mothers of other nationals can't cook.
    I come from an Italian-American family, and married into a second. I've never seen a single Italian crying that the food was "just like momma used to make." I only see that in particularly offensive movies.
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

    How do things fly? This explains it all.

    Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.



  27. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post

    TBH I'm not sure what counts as rock these days.......snip...... What would you recommend?
    Here is a link to the "Rock Channel" of my local radio station. The music on the play list is not found mainstream enough to be considered appropriate for the daily program. ATTENTION, ROCK MUSIC AHEAD!
    http://www.swr3.de/wraps/musik/webra...%BCcking+rockt

    ETA: Click on "Tücking rockt" and on "Einschalten" to listen to it. It'S a public station.

  28. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    11,057
    Books that have individually named chapters, or separate stories or articles, have contents pages. Usually the contents of the contents page can fit on a single page. Yet often it starts halfway down the page, or even two thirds down the page, and spills out over the back of the page. Why?

  29. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,511
    Publishing was a completely different ball game before the Macintosh and the laser printer. Maybe publishers previous could segment the market into those who would pay extra for a full page table of contents and those who wouldn't. It doesn't answer your question, but its worth a go.

  30. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    a long way away
    Posts
    10,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    Books that have individually named chapters, or separate stories or articles, have contents pages. Usually the contents of the contents page can fit on a single page. Yet often it starts halfway down the page, or even two thirds down the page, and spills out over the back of the page. Why?
    It doesn't really matter though because the first chapter will start in a right hand page either way. Saves having a blank page.

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmMarsNow View Post
    Publishing was a completely different ball game before the Macintosh and the laser printer.
    Although layout rules didn't really change (until stuff went on line).

Similar Threads

  1. forgive me. ive always wondered
    By Chunky in forum Space/Astronomy Questions and Answers
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 2006-Jun-22, 09:36 PM
  2. Something i've always wondered about jetfighters.
    By FrostByte in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 2006-Jun-15, 07:18 PM
  3. I've always wondered something about photons...
    By Joe The Dude in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2004-Nov-10, 03:03 PM
  4. Something Else I've Wondered About.
    By jrkeller in forum Conspiracy Theories
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 2003-Apr-28, 05:00 PM
  5. Something I've wondered...
    By Exar in forum Conspiracy Theories
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 2003-Apr-23, 12:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •