Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: This riddle is driving me nuts...

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek
    A boy goes and buys a fishing pole that is 6' 3" long. As he goes to get on the bus, the bus driver tells him that he can't take anything on the bus longer than 6'.*

The boy goes back to town, buys one more thing, and the bus driver allows him on the bus. What did he buy, and what did he do with it?
    He bought a square box 4.5' long. The diagonal is about 6'4", long enough to fit the pole.

Quote Originally Posted by MentalAvenger
    Five Brothers Riddle

Five brothers have different: jobs, hobbies, hair colors, and dogs. The party will be at the red-head's. The out-of-towners will stay with the golfer. Your clues:

1. Adam, the professional baseball player, is engaged.
    2. Bart and his wife enjoy sailing.
    3. Carl's wife loves his black hair.
    4. Eric's wife gave him his collie.
    5. The painter is envious of his younger brother’s red hair.
    6. The mechanic was born right after the teacher.
    7. The unmarried brother who enjoys painting has a dachshund.
    8. The third brother has sandy hair.
    9. The unmarried attorney's mongrel is great with children.
    10. The married brother who has an Irish setter and the unmarried brother who likes to fish are a year apart.
    11. Dave and the rancher are next to each other in age.
    12. The brown-haired brother and his wife have a Labrador
    13. The mechanic, his wife, and their baby all have blonde hair
    14.The stamp co11ector and the mongrel's master are next to each other in age.

Where is the party?
    Out-of-towners will stay where?
    The party is at Dave's

The out-of-towners will stay with Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eroica
    A boy goes and buys a fishing pole that is 6' 3" long. As he goes to get on the bus, the bus driver tells him that he can't take anything on the bus longer than 6'.*

The boy goes back to town, buys one more thing, and the bus driver allows him on the bus. What did he buy, and what did he do with it?
    He bought a square box 4.5' long. The diagonal is about 6'4", long enough to fit the pole.
    Good answer, but any box with no dimension longer than six feet would do.

In olden days, you are a clever thief charged with treason against the king and sentenced to death. But the king decides to be a little lenient and lets you choose your own way to die. What would you choose? Remember, you're clever!
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

In olden days, you are a clever thief charged with treason against the king and sentenced to death. But the king decides to be a little lenient and lets you choose your own way to die. What would you choose? Remember, you're clever!
    Old age?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Batty
    Old age?
    Of course!

Six glasses are in a row. The first three are full of juice; the second three are empty. By moving only one glass, can you arrange empty and full glasses alternate?

Six glasses are in a row. The first three are full of juice; the second three are empty. By moving only one glass, can you arrange empty and full glasses alternate?
    Empty glass two into glass four, then put glass two back where it was.
    [Edit: Yes, Roy, I did mean "into glass five"! ops: ]

Think you meant glass five

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Batty
    Think you meant glass five
    Yeah, that was an easy one.

What is black when you buy it, red when you use it and gray when you throw it away?

Charcoal?

A volcano :wink: 8)

Where do you go to buy a volcano?

Nice repeat!

placed above it makes greater things small. Placed beside it makes small things greater. In matters that counts it always comes first. Where others increase it keeps all things the same. What is it?

Bill said he can hang his hat, walk 100 feet, and shoot a hole right through the hat with a gun while blindfolded. how does he do it?

Quote Originally Posted by freddo
    Bill said he can hang his hat, walk 100 feet, and shoot a hole right through the hat with a gun while blindfolded. how does he do it?
    Hangs the hat on his gun?

Yep

How is the letter G like 0:00? (note 0:00 is a time)

placed above it makes greater things small. Placed beside it makes small things greater. In matters that counts it always comes first. Where others increase it keeps all things the same. What is it?
    Zero?

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi
    Charcoal?
    Yes. Sorry if that was a repeat. I thought it sounded familiar, but I did a search, and it didn't show up.

Five Brothers Riddle

Five brothers have different: jobs, hobbies, hair colors, and dogs. The party will be at the red-head's. The out-of-towners will stay with the golfer.

The party is at Dave's

The out-of-towners will stay with Eric
    Correct!
    # --- Name --- Job ------- Hobby ----- Hair ------ Dog ----- Marital Status
    1 --- Bart ---- teacher ---- sailing --- brown --- labrador ---- married
    2 --- Eric ---- mechanic --- golf ------ blond ------ collie ------- married
    3 --- Adam -- baseball --- painting - sandy --- dachshund -- unmarried
    4 --- Dave --- Attorney --- fish ------ red ------- mongrel ----- unmarried
    5 --- Carl ---- rancher ---- stamps -- black ---- Irish Setter -- married
    Speed of light = 1.802,265,898 MegaFurlongs / MicroFortnight

Quote Originally Posted by AGN Fuel
    Zero?
    Close, but:

Where others increase it keeps all things the same.

Zero I don't think fits this criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi
    Charcoal?
    Yes. Sorry if that was a repeat. I thought it sounded familiar, but I did a search, and it didn't show up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek gave us this riddle earlier, which is different, but gives the same answer. He
    Guess this riddle now you must:
    Stone is fire, and fire is dust,
    Black is red, and red is white,
    Come and view the wondrous sight.

Zero?
    Close, but:

Where others increase it keeps all things the same.

One?

Yes. Kudos to AGN Fuel for thinking numbers though...

Zero?
    My reasoning was:

Placed above, it makes things small..... 0/anything is 0.
    Placed beside, it makes things greater: 1, 10, 100.....
    In matters that count, it always comes first: This was weak, but 0, 1, 2, 3..
    Where others increase, it keeps all things the same: 0 added to anything leaves it unchanged.

Oh well - I was close! #-o

Quote Originally Posted by MentalAvenger
    Actually there are two points which fits the given information. That point is located on a line that bisects line AB at 90° and is equal to ½ AB from that line in each direction.
    Technically correct, but wrong for the puzzle, because we know which tree is A and which is B, and the map specifically spells out which direction from A and B to walk. So it is only the one point on the correct side of AB that fits the criteria.

A boy goes and buys a fishing pole that is 6' 3" long. As he goes to get on the bus, the bus driver tells him that he can't take anything on the bus longer than 6'.

Depends. If it is a cane pole then he buys a saw and cuts it off, but that's probably not the answer wanted.

Alternately, he could just attach the hook to the end of the pole and ratchet the handle a bit, till the pole bows shorter than 6 foot.

But the box answer is probably the best.

Zero?
    My reasoning was:

Placed above, it makes things small..... 0/anything is 0.
    Placed beside, it makes things greater: 1, 10, 100.....
    In matters that count, it always comes first: This was weak, but 0, 1, 2, 3..
    Where others increase, it keeps all things the same: 0 added to anything leaves it unchanged.

Oh well - I was close! #-o
    I would have to agree with AGN Fuel, based on the last one, if the answer is 1, it changes a 1 to a 2, and a 2 to a 3 and a ... which does not keep things the same.

Placed above, it makes things small

While a 1 will turn a 10 into 1/10th or 0.1 and 100 into 1/100 or 0.01 a "0" will also make a number small, namely a "0." 0/1=0, 0/10=0, and 0/100=0, it keeps making numbers small. For the record 1/1=1 so it did not make that a smaller number.

I think that you owe AGN Fuel an apology, I think his answer was more accurate.

I think that you owe AGN Fuel an apology, I think his answer was more accurate.
    I don't think any such thing is warranted. Firstly, I did not write the riddle, so I can be simply mean and tell you not to argue with an answer I did not write. However, I personally do not thing AGN Fuel's answer is more accurate.

"Placed above, it makes things small..... 0/anything is 0."
    1 passes the restriction on all but your example (1/1) so we're quibbling a bit.

However, if we are sweating the small stuff:

"Placed beside, it makes things greater: 1, 10, 100....."
    What about a decimal? 1.01 - put a zero either side and it will add nothing to it - while 1 will give you 11.01 or 1.011.

"In matters that count, it always comes first: This was weak, but 0, 1, 2, 3.. "
    Part of my job is programming, but other than that I don't count starting at zero. Works either way (although not in the mind of the riddle author).

"Where others increase, it keeps all things the same: 0 added to anything leaves it unchanged."
    But given the answer is one I have the advantage of knowing this must be about multiplication. Multiply something by zero and it doesn't stay the same, which is why I responded to the guess with:

Close, but:
    By the logic he posted, yes the answer is accurate. But it's not the answer I was looking for. Look at Irishman's post before yours. Some riddles have more than one possible answer that satisfies the criteria of the riddle. But if it's not the answer that started off with the riddle, I don't see why it should be allowed.

Assume that you have just heard of a scandal and that you are the first one to know. You pass it on to 4 persons in a matter of 30 minutes. Each of these 4 persons in turn passes it to 4 other persons in the next 30 minutes and so on.

Assume that no one hears it more than once and that the world population is 5.6 billion.

How long will it take for everybody in the world to get to know the scandal?

Assume that you have just heard of a scandal and that you are the first one to know. You pass it on to 4 persons in a matter of 30 minutes. Each of these 4 persons in turn passes it to 4 other persons in the next 30 minutes and so on.

Assume that no one hears it more than once and that the world population is 5.6 billion.

I get within 8 hours. I bet the common wrong answer is 8.5, ain't it?
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF

I get within 8 hours. I bet the common wrong answer is 8.5, ain't it?
    I get just a little over eight hours. By my reckoning, after 8 hours 2^32 people have been told, or 4,294,967,296. How did you figure it?