Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: This riddle is driving me nuts...

You can see me. You can feel me. If you touch me, you will die. What am I?
    Fire?

Quote Originally Posted by freddo
    Well it will be nearly 10,000 years before the numbers 1961 appear that way in the date (the year 11961). But of course that's just me being silly.

Flip the date upside down and it will not be the same until 6009.
    Yes.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroica
    Three (the number of letters in the word spoken by the doorman!) 8)
    Correct.

Fire?
    Nope. I just ran my hand over a naked candle flame and I'm still here. Trust me, if you touch this, there can be no doubt of your death.

Quote Originally Posted by freddo
    Fire?
    Nope. I just ran my hand over a naked candle flame and I'm still here. Trust me, if you touch this, there can be no doubt of your death.
    Well, the sun comes to mind now, though of course getting close enough to touch it would be a problem in itself. :wink:

Well, the sun comes to mind now, though of course getting close enough to touch it would be a problem in itself.
    Well that is the answer. Perhaps the riddle could have been rephrased "If you try to touch me..."

Guess this riddle now you must:
    Stone is fire, and fire is dust,
    Black is red, and red is white,
    Come and view the wondrous sight.

A volcano?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Batty
    A volcano?
    Interesting answer but not the official one.

Coal?

Quote Originally Posted by TriangleMan
    Coal?
    That's the "official" answer.

Inside a gumball machine with red, yellow, and blue gum
    balls. All but four are red and all but four are blue.
    How many gumballs are in the machine all together?

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek
    I can think of more than one answer to this one. Are you sure there should not be more info?

Eight.

I figure it can be 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF
    If you require that there be at least one of each color, the minimum number is 5: 1R, 3Y, 1B.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Jock
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanF
    If you require that there be at least one of each color, the minimum number is 5: 1R, 3Y, 1B.
    Yup, 4 and 8 both need zeroes. But you can also do 6 (2R, 2Y, 2B) and 7 (3R, 1Y, 3B) without zeroes.

Basically, R and B need to be the same, and Y needs to be 4-R (4-B).

EDIT: 4 would, of course, be 0R, 4Y, 0B and 8 would be 4R, 0Y, 4B.

The only way I see to get it down to one answer is to assume there must be more than one of each color, but that's stretching it.

An old parchment describes the location of buried treasure:

"On the island there are only two trees, A and B, and the remains of a gallows. Start at the gallows and count the steps required to walk in a straight line to tree A. At the tree turn 90 degrees to the left and then walk forward the same number of steps. At the point where you stop drive a spike into the ground. Now return to the gallows and walk in a straight line, counting your steps, to tree B. When you reach the tree, turn 90 degrees to the right and take the same number of steps forward, placing another spike at the point where you stop. Dig at the point exactly halfway between the spikes and you will find the treasure."

However, our hero when he gets to the island finds the gallows missing. Is there any way he can still get to the treasure?

Other than the fact that the treasure is buried along a line that passes through all the points that are midway between the two trees..............?
    Speed of light = 1.802,265,898 MegaFurlongs / MicroFortnight

Well, it seems (from a couple trial-and-errors) that the treasure point never changes relative to the trees no matter where you put the gallows. So, it should be possible to describe the location of the treasure using just the locations of the trees, but danged if my geometry edumacation is fresh enough in my mind for me to figure it out . . .

Looks like the treasure is, as MentalAvenger point out, located on the line that passes midway through the trees, but it also looks like the Tree-Tree-Treasure triangle is a right triangle with AB as the hypoteneuse, which would narrow it down to two possible points. It also looks, though, like the treasure must be to the right when standing at A facing B, which limits it to a single point. Is that correct?

Yes, there is in fact only one point that fits the given restrictions, no matter where you start from.

In 1990, a person is 15 years old. In 1995 that same person is 10 years old. How is this possible?

In 1990, a person is 15 years old. In 1995 that same person is 10 years old. How is this possible?
    The person is 15 in 1990 BC and 10 in 1995 BC.

Yep.

If you have two hourglasses - one four-minute timer and one seven-minute timer, how can you measure nine minutes?

Start both at the same time. When the four-minute runs out, flip it over. When the seven-minute runs out, flip it over. When the four-minute runs out again, flip the seven-minute back over. Nine minutes have elapsed when the seven-minute hourglass is empty.

On the gallows one, you first have to assume that you start at the same location at the gallows. Don't start at each end of the gallows, or that throws the numbers off.

I can't describe the math, but since there is one point that describes that location for any two given trees (checked by trial and error), regardless of where on the line between them the gallows is placed, it is a simple measure of counting the steps between A and B, dividing by two, then pacing from the center point at a ninety degree angle from the bisect line. Alternately, you could take that number and pace off from each tree in the correct distance, then pace to the middle of that connecting line.

Actually there are two points which fits the given information. That point is located on a line that bisects line AB at 90 and is equal to AB from that line in each direction.
    Speed of light = 1.802,265,898 MegaFurlongs / MicroFortnight

An egg salesman was asked how many eggs he had sold that day. He replied, "My first customer said, 'I'll buy half your eggs and half an egg more'. My second and third customers said the same thing. When I had filled all three orders, I sold out of eggs without having to break a single egg the whole day."
    How many eggs were sold in all?

An egg salesman was asked how many eggs he had sold that day. He replied, "My first customer said, 'I'll buy half your eggs and half an egg more'. My second and third customers said the same thing. When I had filled all three orders, I sold out of eggs without having to break a single egg the whole day."

Quote Originally Posted by StarStuff
    7!

Quote Originally Posted by MentalAvenger
    Actually there are two points which fits the given information. That point is located on a line that bisects line AB at 90 and is equal to AB from that line in each direction.
    Could this be proved by using co-ordinate geometry? Let the gallows equal (0,0), let tree A = (0,y), let tree B = (a,b) etc (too lazy right now to work it out )

7!
    17 doesn't work, but 7 does.

A boy goes and buys a fishing pole that is 6' 3" long. As he goes to get on the bus, the bus driver tells him that he can't take anything on the bus longer than 6'.*

The boy goes back to town, buys one more thing, and the bus driver allows him on the bus. What did he buy, and what did he do with it?

7!
    17 doesn't work, but 7 does.
    Right you are, of course. For some reason, I was dividing the number of eggs sold by two instead of the number of eggs left. #-o