Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Leave a Random Fact II: Baby Got Fact.

The legend of the chupacabra originated in Puerto Rico and reports of sighting the beast have spread in other parts of the Americas, when an unidentified animal is spotted.

The University College London has a region called the "Anatomy Yard".
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Sunlight can penetrate clean ocean water to a depth of 240' (72.7m) (or 60 fathoms).

Actually, 60 fathoms would be 360'.

A burial at sea requires a minimum depth of six fathoms.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    Actually, 60 fathoms would be 360'.

A burial at sea requires a minimum depth of six fathoms.
    Yes, that is correct. It didn't dawn on me until it was too late to edit that the correct figure was 40 fathoms.
    Thank you. I have no idea where I got "60" from.

Starfish don't have brains.

Starfish are our closest non-vertebrate relatives

The Ancient Egyptian word for "cat" was "myw".

Stephen Colbert.

Shrimps' hearts are in their heads.

There are now 1,898,747 posts at BAUT, and every possible useful thought has already been posted. Any additional posts are either irrelevant or redundant.
    Trigger warning - this post may contain information that some members disagree with. It might also end sentences with prepositions.

British emergency room doctors will sometimes employ the alias "T. F. Bundy" to describe an incoming patient. "T. F. Bundy" is in fact an acronym for "Totally F'ed But Unfortunately Not Dead Yet".

Stephen Colbert.

Arachne was the lost 13th month of the original Roman calendar.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Emus and kangaroos cannot walk backwards.

Cats can make over one hundred vocal sounds while dogs can make about ten.

Only two people have won an Oscar, an Emmy, a Grammy, a Tony and a Pulitzer; both are composers: Richard Rodgers and Marvin Hamlisch.

Stephen Colbert.

Since the constellations of the zodiac vary so much, astrology cannot be reliable.

If a book or magazine contains any mention of the Antarctic or of the diverse variety of birds, it is likely to feature a picture of penguins on the cover.

Porcupines float in water.

Traditional Navajos point with their lips.

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.

My mouth is not always connected to my brain.

The goldfish is the only animal that can see both infra-red and ultra-violet light.

The following link goes to a report on EMP which was published the same time as the9/11 Commission Report, but which did not receive attention EMP should have: http://www.empcommission.org/.

In the Universal movies, Frankenstein's first name was Henry, Ludwig or Wolf. The Hammer films correctly named him Victor, although he is called "Baron von", which he was not. Nor was he a doctor; although he did attend medical school, he dropped out before attaining his degree.

Stephen Colbert.

The last time an astronaut operated in near-zero gravity conditions was the last Apollo moon mission. Everything else was free fall.
    Just because you're a genius doesn't make you a smart guy

Just before the Civil War, camels were introduced into Texas, on the long supply trails to different forts; the camels were faster than horses and mules, carried more weight and traveled further on less food and water: the beginning of the Civil War ended the experiment.

For two days, we've had gentle rain breaking the drought in North Texas; now if only west and south Texas would get a rain like this.

Camels were introduced to Australia in the 19th century. After their period of usefulness was complete, they were turned out into the desert, and expected to die. Instead they thrived and are now the only wild dromedary camels on Earth, and are exported to the Middle East for their high-quality meat and strong genetic stock for race breeding.
    Last edited by parallaxicality; 2014-Jul-21 at 09:16 AM.

Stephen Colbert.

The majority of marine biologists work at depths of ten fathoms (26m) or less.

It will rain today.
    Trigger warning - this post may contain information that some members disagree with. It might also end sentences with prepositions.

The original meaning of the term "summer vacation" was the period between law terms when the judges would travel the country conducting hangings.

Stephen Colbert.