Page 127 of 177 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137 ... LastLast
Results 3,781 to 3,810 of 5284

Thread: We don't need no stinkin' Untrue Facts! (!!!)

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Actually if you blow up Jupiter it just inflates, it is just a balloon like the moon, only larger and further away.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Actually if you blow up Jupiter it just inflates, it is just a balloon like the moon, only larger and further away.
    They used the biggest air pump in the Solar system. It had perfect proportions of 1/4/9.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

My doctor has told me I'm not getting enough Rhenium.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

My doctor said "I've had enough!" But he quit right after that, so I never got to find out what he'd had enough of.

Ivy Hadenuf was the first woman physician in Finland.

Ivy had a short-lived but tempestuous love affair with Hugo Toby Kid, in Hell's Inky.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

The slogan, "The customer is always Wright" was first used by early airplane parts manufacturers.

The Zebroid is a robot in the shape of a zebra. The first primitive clockwork Zebroid was a chess-playing Zorse invented by Leonardo Da Vinci, which is odd because Donatello is well-known as the inventive genius of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

No two zebra stripe sets are alike yet if you take four zebras or zebrae they make a jigsaw showing a map of Detroit. no one knows why.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

The term "jigsaw" originally referred to saw-bladed shoes used in folk dancing upon a wooden floor. For obvious reasons, the practice did not last long.

Milk was invented in 463 B.C. in Mesopotamia by an unnamed alchemist trying to turn beer into butterflies (don't ask). The surrogate production process using mammals was developed centuries later, oddly enough for hygenic reasons.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

If you say milk very slowly you can enter a trance like state with hallucinations until brought out of it by the k ..useful for curing hiccups.
    sicut vis videre esto

The Iditarod Sled Dog Race from Anchorage to Nome Alaska was inspired by the Deli Crisis of 1925 when kosher dill pickles and pastrami and rye supplies ran out in Nome and had to be rushed in by dogsled from Anchorage.
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

Raisins are not dried grapes.

Okay?

Let's get past that falsehood already!

In the Middle Ages any monk who made a mistake transcribing scripture would be made to wear the False Hood. It was not a true hood as it was worn on the feet rather than the head, and made of stone.

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    In the Middle Ages any monk who made a mistake transcribing scripture would be made to wear the False Hood. It was not a true hood as it was worn on the feet rather than the head, and made of stone.
    In my old neighborhood some swimmers were found with similar footwear, near the olive oil warehouse by the docks. When questioned, none chose to make a report to the police.

When we were little kids we were told to never eat the olympic snow.

The Inuit word for "Olympic snow" is 77th on their list of words for snow.
    So many bugs, so little time.

Whose woods these are I think I know
    His house is in the village though
    He will not see me stopping here
    To fill his woods with yellow snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Whose woods these are I think I know
    His house is in the village though
    He will not see me stopping here
    To fill his woods with yellow snow.
    That poem was written by President James Garfield.

A little known fact about the Civil War is that it was actually the first war where a No-Fly Zone was succesfully enforced.

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    A little known fact about the Civil War is that it was actually the first war where a No-Fly Zone was succesfully enforced.
    And boy, were those flies angry.

Shoeflies are know for their sensitive feet and the stomping sound they make when they walk around. However, in many cultures, they are baked and served in pies.

Thai fly pie is actually half baked, then fried.

Thailand was forced to change its name to Siam when British cat fanciers complained about calling the cat breed "Thailandese".

The Thailandese cat is known as the only mammal feeding on shoeflies for more than 50% of their diet. The name Puss'n Boots derives from that, and meant "cat eating bootflies".

The children's story character Puss-n-Boots was probably derived from the Sumerian goddess Pusenbutana, who was the goddess of leather working.

DC comic's Batman was patterned on Eleanor Roosevelt who as First Lady would dress as a flying squirrel and fight crime at night in the nation's capital.
    "Back off man, I'm a Scientist!"- Peter Venkman, PhD in Psychology and Parapsychology

Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    DC comic's Batman was patterned on Eleanor Roosevelt who as First Lady would dress as a flying squirrel and fight crime at night in the nation's capital.
    That didn't make me laugh out loud.

But I think that will be one of the platforms for my campaign - more crime-fighting First Ladies!

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    That didn't make me laugh out loud.

But I think that will be one of the platforms for my campaign - more crime-fighting First Ladies!
    It was part of an early "scared straight" program, few felons could go through the experience of seeing a furry Eleanor with huge false buck teeth flying towards them out of the dark, unchanged.