Thread: $1M Dare to Streak in Front of POTUS

$1M Dare to Streak in Front of POTUS

You may seen some pictures of a naked guy being arrested at a presidential event today. Turns out it was a million dollar dare:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...on_501259.html

An "eccentric" billionaire I guess we should say named Alki David offered $1M cash to the first person to streak in front of the president. Further requirements were the streaker had to have the name of David's website on his/her chest, be stark naked, be within eye and earshot of the president, and shout the name of the website six times.

It looks like this clown managed to pull it off. David better pay out (and I'm sure he'll need it for legal bills).

-Richard

You do find some of the best stories. And this was effective - I checked out the link. I bet he gets a huge bounce in hits today and the next few days.

And I'm sure this is giving the Secret Service a collective heart attack, and I wouldn't be surpised if they pass a federal law to stop it (make it illegal to pay money for a stunt in the presidential protected zone or whatever, confiscating what is paid out, etc, etc). I imagine they are begging the mainstream media not to run with this story, afraid it will spark a copycat wave. An epidemic of "paying money to do crazy stuff in front of the president" would be quite dangerous.

-Richard

As long as they can't conceal a weapon...
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

The big fear would likely be that it could cause a collective distraction while someone else does something more dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by publius View Post
    You may seen some pictures of a naked guy being arrested at a presidential event today.
    Just for the record, it was yesterday (the article was dated yesterday)
    Turns out it was a million dollar dare:

I imagine they are begging the mainstream media not to run with this story
    CBS Picked it up with a bit more...
    Someone tried to throw the book at him(Obama).

, afraid it will spark a copycat wave. An epidemic of "paying money to do crazy stuff in front of the president" would be quite dangerous.
    Let's hope they have some good charges. Otherwise it could be used as precedence and make it even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Let's hope they have some good charges. Otherwise it could be used as precedence and make it even worse.
    Creating a disturbance likely to compromise the security of the president?
    Call it a test run for an assassination and slap him with one of the anti-terrorism laws.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

I would assume there are already laws to prosecute both the daree and the darer. The defendents may try to argue free-speech, but I don't think that trumps laws against indecent exposure, being a public nuisance, disorderly conduct, putting the president in danger (by virtue of using up secret Service resources), violating a secret service perimeter, and who knows what else. The billionaire may have to face incitement charges and since this dare was over the internet and across state lines and at a location where the press was filming, the FCC might get involved. If a check is sent via mail, the postal laws may apply and if sent by courier then FAA regulations may apply. I hope they nail them both.
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ara Pacis View Post
    ...If a check is sent via mail, the postal laws may apply and if sent by courier then FAA regulations may apply.
    It's supposedly going to be hard cash. So; I seriously doubt it's going to be mailed. (I'm sure they would try a photo-op of the distribution if possible)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ara Pacis View Post
    ... I hope they nail them both.
    Yes; and your list is a way of describing what I meant by "good" charges.

CBS Picked it up with a bit more...
    Someone tried to throw the book at him(Obama).
    Turns out the book throwing guy was an "overexhuberent supporter" who wanted to give the president a copy of a book he had written and was deemed not a threat and not arrested.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...ent-obama.html

Some were actually thinking the book throwing photo was a hoax, some photoshop thing, but the secret service confirmed it did happen.

...was deemed not a threat and not arrested.
    Deemed after the fact.
    Now; it may have to do with the distance and trajectory which we don't know. But; I think that throwing a book towards a president, no matter how it was inteneded, is a very stupid thing to do (if not illegal). Around the president, there tends to be an "...and ask questions later" reaction which could have turned real ugly.

And for excellent historical precedent. "Oh, he's just an actor. He works here!" "The President is getting a lot of people giving him grief over appointments." "I'm sure that handkerchief is on his hand because he's hurt himself somehow."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

... Some were actually thinking the book throwing photo was a hoax, some photoshop thing, but the secret service confirmed it did happen.
    Yeah sure, just like the NASA tells us we went to the Moon, Right. Go figure .

It looks like the payout is only going to happen if the president confirms it.
    Yeah; good luck with that...

I don't think the prez should admit it even if he saw it. That should help put a damper on these stunts. Besides; From what I saw in that video, the area was so crowded and crazy that the other bodies could have easily hidden him from view.

Million Dollar Streaker (cnn video)

It's been mentioned, but I'd imagine there's laws that can be used to charge the man who offered the bet. Charges against the streaker should be easy.

In Ohio, it appears the "Complicity" law could apply to the man who offered the money.

These sort of offenses tend to be minor anyway, but might as well make an example and show you're not going to fool around with this stuff. As for the money, I guess the plus side for the goverment is now that they know about the bet, it will make it real hard for either party to get around the applicable "gift taxes", should they have been thinking of doing so anyway.

It's money he made by performing an action for another. He should be hit with income tax, not gift tax on them. And then have them confiscated.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    It's money he made by performing an action for another. He should be hit with income tax, not gift tax on them. And then have them confiscated.
    I suppose you could even argue it was money gained from an illegal action, which would easily make it all confiscate'able. Though from what I've read here, it doesn't sound like he'll ever actually get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    I suppose you could even argue it was money gained from an illegal action, which would easily make it all confiscate'able. Though from what I've read here, it doesn't sound like he'll ever actually get paid.
    In which case he could try suing the guy who said he'd pay.

Not if he didn't satisfy the requirements which seems to be the case. Although; I'm sure a case can be made of the requirements being to vague or something like that.

... if the president confirms it. ... I don't think the prez should admit it even if he saw it. ...
    Well, he could turn the whole thing around and put a little vinegar on the $1Mio by saying something like "I guess size doesn't matter."

Another update.
    'Consolation prize' leaves streaker speechless

NO MILLION DOLLARS, but an agreement has been reached (non-disclosures signed, so it's hard to tell what the settlement was other than the few things mentioned)
    And; it seems as though Alki is putting words in Juans mouth.