Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sports Statistics and Kilopi

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    That must be including his totals in Japan. I wonder how their pitching and defense compare with our Major Leaguers.
    I think they are pretty hot. I don't have any numbers or anything, but baseball is something the Japanese engaging in with vigor.

It is kind of heartening to see, sort of on par with the idea that American would crank out Cricket players or more accurately whole Cricket teams. We don't, there are basically two famous ones. Perhaps they are somewhere slightly above Ernie the Eagle and Jamaican bobsled teams, which are also impressive to watch. You have heart, you have sportsmanship and competitive drive plus skill and wins.
    Solfe

This week Sports Illustrated had a statistical tidbit illustrating how much more difficult it is for baseball players to maintain hitting streaks than it was in 1941, when Joe DiMaggio set his record of 56 consecutive games. In his career about 14% of his plate appearances were against starting pitchers for the 4th time or more in a game, often meaning tiring pitchers. Two Boston Red Sox players, who have had recent streaks of 29 and 26 games respectively, have done likewise only about 0.7% of their combined career plate appearances, because of the more routine lifting of starters for short relievers after six innings or so. That makes it harder to get hits late in the game.

That makes sense. In DiMaggio's day, he got to play 22 times against seven opposing teams who used three or four regular starters trying to throw complete games, and had a couple of bullpen aces, and was hence seeing familiar stuff as well as tired arms a lot.

A modern player has 14 league opponents, plus interleague games, each with 12-13 pitchers available.

Don't forget to watch the championship hot dog eating contest on the ESPN channels on the 4th. An amazing demonstration of just how much gluttonous abuse the human organism can withstand.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Don't forget to watch the championship hot dog eating contest on the ESPN channels on the 4th. An amazing demonstration of just how much gluttonous abuse the human organism can withstand.
    I missed it of course, in the wilds of Wyoming, but a replay was showing last night while we ate at a pizza joint. We had to look up the results, to see how the "oldest contestant ever" did. We were also surprised to see that the glitter-confetti spewing contestant ate just 1.

Earlier today, Ichiro Suzuki collected his 3,000th major league hit, the 30th player in history to reach that milestone. He darn near hit a home run, but settled for a triple when his blast came up short of the wall. A triple was more appropriate for someone who has displayed speed along with hitting ability through the years.

with his fairly long career in Japan, he didn't join the U.S. major leagues until the age when he'd be expected to be slowing down. Only one player -- Pete Rose -- has amassed more hits after his 27th birthday, and Ichiro can eclipse that particular mark if he hangs on. I note that his hitting coach is Barry Bonds and his manager is Don Mattingly -- both of whom were world-class hitters, so good advice will be available if indeed he needs it.

That makes sense. In DiMaggio's day, he got to play 22 times against seven opposing teams who used three or four regular starters trying to throw complete games, and had a couple of bullpen aces, and was hence seeing familiar stuff as well as tired arms a lot.

A modern player has 14 league opponents, plus interleague games, each with 12-13 pitchers available.
    On the other hand, the pitcher's mound has been lowered, making things easier for hitters.
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

The pitcher's mound was lowered from 15" to 10" in 1969, then restored to 15" sometime during the 1970s. I think it had been officially 15" during DiMaggio's era, though the rule wasn't strictly enforced. Koufax and Drysdale had such high mounds in L.A. in the early 1960s that they allegedly feared falling off.

The fielders' gloves were smaller in the 1940s, which helped the hitters. Also, no little or no night baseball possibly favored them.

The pitcher's mound was lowered from 15" to 10" in 1969, then restored to 15" sometime during the 1970s.
    Really?

Whoops! The mound is still at 10 inches high. I was thinking of the big strike zone established in 1963 to help the hitters, and later retracted.

Earlier today, Ichiro Suzuki collected his 3,000th major league hit, the 30th player in history to reach that milestone. He darn near hit a home run, but settled for a triple when his blast came up short of the wall. A triple was more appropriate for someone who has displayed speed along with hitting ability through the years.
    Wouldn't it be cool if Ichiro got 3,142 before he retires? He'll no doubt be the first Japanese player in the HoF. Hope he uses a Mariners uniform for his plaque, like the just-inducted Ken Griffey Jr.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

If he could have gotten hit 3,000 with at-bat 9,425, his batting average would have been close to 1/pi, i.e., .318.

Alas, it took him 9,569 at bats, so he's only at .314 career (which is still exceptional, of course).

If he'd gotten his 3,000 in 9,549 AB, his average would be .31416, an approximation of decipi (i.e., pi/10).

Interesting coincidence.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/p...mes-will-go-on

Prince Fielder will hold a news conference today to announce he has likely played his last game in the majors, as his second neck surgery in three years ends his career at age 32. This is indestructible Prince, the man who once missed just 13 games over eight seasons and just one over a five-year stretch. How can his career be over already? It doesn't seem right.

Fielder will finish with 319 home runs, the same number as his father. Cecil Fielder was another larger-than-life figure, a player who went to Japan for a year and then returned to the Detroit Tigers and shockingly blasted 51 home runs in 1990, becoming the first player in 13 years to reach 50. Prince would have his own 50-homer season and also play for the Tigers, so maybe it feels apropos that father and son will finish their careers with the same home run total.

If he'd gotten his 3,000 in 9,549 AB, his average would be .31416, an approximation of decipi (i.e., pi/10).
    He still is a well rounded player.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRS6...ature=youtu.be

This was really interesting. The almost random audio is the best part. Truly an age gone by. Babe Ruth, Connie Mack and Fiorello LaGuadia, that kind of thing.

Don't miss the coverage annual Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest today. It's repeated often on the ESPN channels.

Well, just watch the build up, where the bold gluttons are built up as America's greatest athletes, some of them Hall-of-Famers. It's all in fun, so the broadcasters comply with the starry-eyed praise.

You might want to tune out when the eatin' begins. Nothing subtle here. As the event is timed, it's just one down the hatch and then another. The competitors often break 'em in half and dunk 'em in water so as to get it down faster, hoping to set a record. It's very messy. The post-binge interviews are mercifully short. "I consider myself the hungriest man on the face of the earth, now, you'll have to excuse me, get out of the way!"