Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1298

Thread: What are you playing?

I really really want to see the new Star Wars movie this year, added bonus no neo-nazis.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...=facebook-post
    ah are feelings hurt.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

oops wrong thread.

Going to play EVE for at least the trail period, tal=king a break from blowing up tanks and putting up with some of the other players.

I am looking to start up D&D night this year with some friends and our kids. I have a whole continent ready for them to explore.
    Solfe

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    I just finished Adr1ft in about six hours. Glorious visuals and stunning beauty but other than that; man, what a let-down.
    I love puzzle and logic games; I love the theme of discovering a story through diaries and logs but really; it helps to have some kind of decent story to discover.
    The movement is tedious, the keyboard controls clunky; with no chance to change them. You basically have to do the same thing four times over; the 'radar' is useless and the ending is about as anticlimactic as you can possibly get.

Essentially, without spoilers, you play as the sole survivor of a gigantic space station in Earth orbit that has somehow been destroyed. Great idea for a game and the opening scene when you wake from unconsciousness is electrifying. Your first panic-stricken stumbles to find air are excellent as well, but after just a few minutes things pall.
    First; your suit moves sloooooowly. Yes, moving carefully in a zero-gee environment is important, but being able to reach the top speed of an anemic tortoise no matter how long you hold the thruster open is maddening.
    Second, the basic aim is a little silly: you somehow have to get the destroyed station working well enough for the escape pod to operate (not a spoiler; it's in the documentation.) Wait - the station has to be working in order to use the escape pod?!?
    Third, my own natural snarkiness comes to the fore right at the beginning: your space suit is damaged and leaking air; it bleeds dry in less than a minute. You were unconscious for three hours, so you are alive how?
    There's another major flaw in the science; specifically in the orbit that is discussed in the various logs but as it stands out so sharply that even I can see it and is a spoiler there's no need to include it here. Let's just say I was grinding my teeth every time they talked about it.

Adr1ft looks great, has a great idea that could have been developed into something really spectacular. It wasn't - it was released as a tedious, unrewarding series of repetitions with a major disappointment at the end. I'd say avoid - there are much better space games out here.
    Last edited by NorthernDevo; 2016-Dec-31 at 08:24 PM.
    "The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference."

"Aikido: the art of hitting people with planets."

A bunch of different games on Steam.

Mainly ARK; Survival Evolved, 7 Days To Die, Defense Grid 2, Fallout 3 & 4
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Going to play EVE for at least the trail period, tal=king a break from blowing up tanks and putting up with some of the other players.
    Do your best to find people to play with. EVE is miserable alone, but can be amazing with a good group.

Skyrim special edition. So many things to do so many places to go.
    Just because you're a genius doesn't make you a smart guy

OK, this is a board game, or maybe a card game. It's like battleship, with words. Codenames will reveal the inner workings of the minds of your friends and family--any game where tempers flare and egos deflate has to be good, right?

Ok, I have gotten my hands on two games - Exploding Kittens and Titanfall 2. Exploding Kittens is the better of the two games, by a long shot. I am sure I will get used Titanfall, I want to like it, but so far it sucks. I have suffered "Death by Environment" about 1000 times and died from gunfire zero times.

It appears that the first instruction in the game, "Turn the brightness down until you can barely see the left symbol" is completely wrong. I'm playing on hard mode and nothing can kill me but me (and some sludge). That and I cooked off a grenade in my hand. And stood there looking at the Pokemon Brainbomb thingie until we exploded. My son kept asking me why I was doing that and I said, "I can walk on walls, have a battle mecha and it sounds like Optimus Prime. I've wanted this since I was 8. There is a certain unreality to this game that I just can't adjust to."

In the context of a game world, they need to explain more. (Edit - Many, many times that I run into a hazard and respawn, BT then warns me that there is a hazard. I might be outrunning the sound track. Respawn is unimaginably long.)
    Solfe

Star Wars Armada. Not a computer game but a table top game.
    My son and some of his friends have taken to it in a big way.
    I have played a few times.
    It's a turn based fleet battle wargame using model ships.
    He got the 'Core Game' for christmas, it contains the rules, an articulated maneuver tool, a range ruler, command dials, attack dice, a Victory-class Star Destroyer, Nebulon-B frigate, CR90 Corellian corvette, six squadrons of Tie Fighters and four of X Wings, 3 to a squadron.
    I am impressed by the quality of the models, fully painted and with some very fine applied detail.
    He has a number of extra ships.
    Forces are sized by a points system to kerp things balanced in traditional wargame style.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Armada is a very fun game, but I have only played once. It reminds me of the old Adeptus Titanicus game (Before Warhammer 40K was invented).

My boys have X-Wing and that is a blast, too.

Now speaking of sons, I was playing TitanFall and I was invited to a private PVP session. The teams were uneven due to an odd number of players. Over my headset I heard a child say, "Dad, the other team has more players. We are going to lose." His dad reassured him that they wouldn't lose. I made sure he didn't.

I have mention that I wanted a game like this since I was 8 years old. I spent the entire match as Pilot with no Titan, used only a pistol and rode around on the backs of friendly titans. My boys though that was pretty great, although they didn't want me to lose.

Sometimes, you just take one for the team.
    Solfe

Qwirkle and Exploding Kittens, adult edition. oh yes.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Qwirkle and Exploding Kittens, adult edition. oh yes.
    There's an adult version of Exploding Kittens? I did not know that.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    There's an adult version of Exploding Kittens? I did not know that.
    OMG. My wife insisted on getting it, and it is... rude. As in, SO RUDE.

I dare not post an image here, and share not mention any rude part of it except the Boob Wizard. I cannot say more.

Except that the Boob Wizard is very helpful. In game terms, I mean.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

LOL. I love that game and want to get Imploding Kittens.

I am giving up on Titanfall 2. It's a nice game, but it doesn't keep track of scores very well. For the past couple of days, I have been playing multiplayer under the self imposed restriction of only using grenades plus a Hammond pistol and will only use my Titan if it is an option on respawn.

The last game I played, I jumped on an enemy titan, yanked the battery and jumped off. I landed right in front of it and quickly hit grapple. I hit a friendly titan and loaded the stolen battery into him. From my vantage point, I turned 180 degrees and emptied my pistol into the face of the enemy titan. BOOM! I killed it, got the points and knew that the titan I was on was the only one in the immediate area (except the titan I was on which was facing the wrong way). One of the NPC voices actually commented on the fact that as a pilot, I killed a titan.

I jumped down and killed two pilots, while they killed the only friendly titan that was keeping my butt safe. A new titan showed up and stomped on me. On the respawn, my titan was killed in short order, but I managed to repeat the same stunt I used on the first titan. This time I was too close. He died to pistol fire, but the explosion got me, too. He must have had the nuke option. Again, the game commented on how hard it is for a pilot to kill a titan. I also lost the battery I stole, because I foolishly gunned down a titan with my pistol.

My son watched in amazement as I racked up more pilot and titan kills, my team won by a really good margin. I wasn't even in the top 3 because it takes so dang long to sneak up and get the drop on a titan. I think I had 5 or 6 pilot kills and perhaps 4 or 5 titan kills. Two of the other players actually had close to 20 kills and the third place player wasn't all that far behind.

The session ends any my son says, "That sucks!" I looked at the score and it turns out the game credited me with one pilot kill and one titan kill. And neither with a pistol, but credited both to an assault rifle I wasn't even using.

I am not sure how I feel. It's great that I did something twice that most players consider impossible, in one single game. But I am pretty ticked that the game didn't award me to the kills I earned. I think I am going back to Destiny or NHL for a while.
    Solfe

I've been playing Naval Action; an Alpha-release sandbox sim set in the 1700's. The graphics are utterly gorgeous and the wooden-ship sailing is quite realistic, given the constraints of a game. There's no single-player mode; it all takes place in several open-world servers. Given the number of players though it might as well be; it's relatively common to encounter other players but they rarely interact much.
    There are two types of servers: PvP and PvE. In the first, players can directly attack other players in-world (pirates vs. English, for instance) in the second, they cannot. So far, I've found the PvE server to be much more enjoyable; the behaviour of the people playing is extremely supportive, fun and positive. Quite unlike the PvP which is much more competitive.

The player takes command of a ship; the world is the Caribbean from the southern US to the northern part of S America. Once can choose one's own path; there is no plot or storyline. You can trade, fish, explore, raid, craft new ships and items, engage in politics. Progress is slow; no multiple-leveling up missions. Gaining rank is a slow, demanding process as is gaining wealth.
    The UI is simplistic for now; it's a pre-release game but it's slowly improving. The in-world play is spectacular - beautiful graphics as mentioned, long-distance cruising for trade or battle. The 'open world' ships move quickly; one can sail from Jamaica to Cuba in (given wind and weather) just a few minutes. When battle starts however, all ships reflect real-world performance. Trimming sails, managing crew and making careful decisions are required in battle; it is NOT easy.
    Overall, a high learning curve, wonderful game play and a thoroughly immersive experience; I highly recommend Naval Action.
    Cheers!
    "The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference."

I don't play online games, but I do play most of the role playing genre. These are the oldies but goodies:
    Emulators
    Final Fantasy VII, VI(even I and II releases in the US)
    Wizardry V, VI, VII and a little bit of VIII
    Stand alone
    Heroes of Might and Magic III, V(purchased VI, but that requires cloud saves so dropped)

I still play Minesweeper.

I love base building. Dune 2, Command and Conquer series, Age of Empires and others like them have kept my PC energized and my eyes burning from fatigue for many years. One time I had a 13 hour battle on Dune 2 where all I had was one badly damaged light vehicle and one slowly recharging missile base against two other bases. Winning was so sweet.

Mount and Blade: Warband, the PS4 port.... it was only $10 and I've logged atleast 200 hours in my PC in Native, and atleast another 80 in Vikings and other mods.
    "The only one who knows this ounce of words is just a token, is he who has a tongue to tell that must remain unspoken"

A new graphics card makes the older games look better so Bioshock 2 got reinstalled today. Bioshock 1 and 2 were favorites of mine.

25. 2017-Apr-21, 07:28 AM

26. 2017-Jun-18, 01:56 PM

I'm currently replaying a great old game - MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries. Now that it is many years old I can get the Mech Pack 3; which has tons of new weapons and 'Mechs to play with. I'm currently playing the campaign with a full Company of 8 Talos's; 80-ton Battlemechs each with 2 RAC2's and 2 RAC5's as well as a pair of rapid-load Rocket Launchers with 60 reloads. Basically that means each vehicle is kitted out with 2 miniguns and 2 Vulcan cannons. You wouldn't BELIEVE how fast a full Lance can rip through the bad guys; this is hilarious!
    Last edited by NorthernDevo; 2017-Aug-23 at 12:23 AM.

My son rejuvenated our old PS2 while waiting for Destiny 2 to drop. We've been playing Gran Turismo and ATV: Offroad Fury a lot. We 1-4 in each series, and they look awful in Hi-Def.

Personally, I have been playing Destiny 1 pretty hardcore for the past few weeks. I shall miss it. One funny bit was my kids found the http://destinytracker.com website and noted that I am in the top 4% of crucible players.

Actually, that is not entirely true. I am in the top 4% of all players in crucible for "Score to Kill", not anything else. The best way to describe that stat is I hit other players over a long period of time before actually score a kill (or not killing them at all). I would say that comes down to my style - Defender plus Hard Light plus Memory of Felwinter. My super isn't offensive, so I don't use it. Felwinter gives me two melee charges and two grenades. Hard Light fires a stream of less than lethal bullets that bounce off walls, so it's more of annoyance than anything. It takes me a while to take anyone down.
    Solfe

PokemonGo. We just raged through this small Spanish resort in the company of a young French lad. Communication was a lot of Gallic shrugs and vocab dredged up from school 40 years ago but as long as you get milled in you're ok with us.

Mystic 'til I die!

Because I'm a frugal Yankee (or cheap @#$%#$% as my wife would say) I've discovered mods. I've been playing Realism Invictus for Civ 4. I tried Civ 5 and though it had some good ideas, I feel it's been taken over by the peaceniks, and Civ 6 is even more so. Don't get me wrong, I'm an engineer and a builder, but a little conflict is interesting, otherwise it's a major clickfest and Civ is a clickfest as it is.
    Also Religion and Revolution for Civ 4 Colonization (Sorry Brits).

I haven't posted on this thread in a while, but I am seeing spoilers that the next Destiny 2 DLC will be on an icy field labeled Mars. So the poles maybe?
    Solfe

D2 was fun when it came out, but I returned to the better D1. But with the additions, I'm just as addicted to D2.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.