Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you playing?

I haven't but I am not hugely into brawlers like that. I play them occasionally with the kids though because they think it is fun. Amazon is listing it for around 15 bucks, so defiantly on the cheap.

Last Friday I found a cheapish pre-owned copy of Silent Hill 0rigins for the PS2, having had great difficulty tracking one down, even online. So Clare and I are now near the end of it. (I posted about this before but the board was playing up.)

After the crushing disappointment of Silent Hill Homecoming, it's pleasing to see that this earlier episode lives up to expectations. It's a bit formulaic, but that's not such a bad thing - given that Silent Hill 2 is unlikely to be bettered. Some of the ideas in it are quite stunning. I'm thinking of doing an Amazon review for it - I'm hovering between 4 and 5 stars.

They're just starting to trickle details of Silent Hill: Downpour. (Gameinformer announcement) Says there will be more info in GI's feb issue. I happen to get GI, through GameStop's membership program, and I am eagerly awaiting that issue! (Elder Scrolls: Skyrim's first big feature is in it too) I hope they do right by the title, unlike what I've heard Homecoming did.

ETA: I was wrong; Skyrim's in the currnet issue, which was waiting in my mailbox for me when I got home. Score!
    Last edited by Fazor; 2011-Jan-14 at 10:24 PM.

Test message

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    Still obsessively playing Dwarf Fortress, which is why I haven't been posting here.
    Just doing a test post to see if I can get onto page 11.
    The real art of conversation is not only saying the right thing at the right moment but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the most tempting moment. -- unknown

Hooray, my post 302 appeared at last!

Clare and I have just finished Silent Hill 0rigins. Although it certainly wasn't a groundbreaking classic, it was also far from disappointing. It was like reading an optional but highly entertaining novella that ties in with a series of big novels.

Still got Shattered Memories to play.

And Fazor, yes, Downpour is looking very intriguing. The very little I've heard suggests the team responsible have got the idea of Silent Hill - something the team responsible for Homecoming definitely didn't have. I know they're going to avoid using hospitals and schools for settings, as these things have now been exhausted - which suggests they're looking to extend the ongoing story rather than feed the fans with reminders of how good it once was.

Well I was wrong about Downpour, it's in the Game Informer I got yesterday too. But I haven't finished reading about Skyrim yet. It's second on the lest.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    Hooray, my post 302 appeared at last!
    I was overwhelmed by post 304 actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
    I was overwhelmed by post 304 actually.
    Why, thank you! I put a lot of thought into it.

We're having a little rest between gaming sessions, but might make a serious attempt at Heavy Rain soon. Our first impressions were highly favourable.

Well, I had said something about it earlier, but I finally got around to contacting NCSoft support about my lost GuildWars account info. It's taken three days (only because it's an e-mail conversation, so they ask a question, a few hours later I read my e-mail and respond, rinse/repeat. NCSoft support themselves have been great), but I just checked my e-mail and think I finally have what I need to get back into the game. I'm excited, but I'm at work so I'll have to see when I get home tonight.

In console news, I did pick up Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 over the weekend. It's a blast -- and pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Gameplay itself is pretty mindless beat-em-up; not even much strategy. But there's super heros. And lots of them (I think the official count of playable characters is between 24-30, with tons of super villians and unplayable heros in the story.) There's some not-so-great parts too, but more on that after I play through it and give it a proper--or at least a Fazor's--review.

Also, my stupid (not really) girlfriend pointed out Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. Not that I didn't obviously know about it. But I had no plans to get it. I actually had a $10 used game called 'Viking' in my hand (reviews I had seen averaged about 7-of-10's from readers, and about the same from review sites, so figured likely worth $10.) Anyway, Tara pointed out 'Brotherhood'. Rather, she pointed out AC2 and said, "don't you want the new Assassin's Creed?" and I said "Yes, but that's not it. That's the one I have. The new one is here" . . . which is when I noticed it was only $39.99 new. And since all the other new games I want are $59.99, that seemed like a great deal. So I picked it up too. I haven't even started single player on it, but have been poking around in multiplayer. It's also pretty much what I thought it would be, which is a mixed bag. But again, game needs more playtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley
    We're having a little rest between gaming sessions, but might make a serious attempt at Heavy Rain soon. Our first impressions were highly favourable.
    Loved that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor
    Also, my stupid (not really) girlfriend pointed out Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.
    First off, hope she doesn't read this post.... I still have to play AC2, which is on my list of games to get soon, then Brotherhood. Not a bad price though. I love picking games up like that.

Quote Originally Posted by NickW View Post
    First off, hope she doesn't read this post....
    I think a video game post on a science board is about the least-likely place she would venture to on the internet, so I'm probably safe. Oh, and @Paul Beardsley; I did get a chance to read through Game Informer's Silent Hill: Downpour preview. It sounds like the new team behind it understands exactly what made the series great, and exactly what has gone wrong over the last few releases. It looked and sounds like it's going to be amazing -- I'm already wondering if my poor heart will be able to handle a play-through.

Wow, Fazor, you're making my optimism needle move across the scale!

I'm a glass half full kind of chap - tho' in Silent Hill one has to ask, "Half full of what???"

It's terrible, but I have to admit I'm having some fun with a browsergame: farmerama. Grow stuff and animals, sell 'm. Pretty standard farming game, reality "simulation" type, but they do introduce lots of special events (german harvest fest, halloween, full moon fright night, christmas, and right now: Aliens!) to keep the game from getting too boring. Playable without paying for anything (lots of mouseclicks tho!), although you do get some extra goodies if you do decide to pay for stuff (I don't). If you use the URL up there to sign up you get a starting package of some seeds and trees and other stuff for free, part of their advertising. Fun for kids too (mine like it, anyway), learn to manage your money etc.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    I'm a glass half full kind of chap - tho' in Silent Hill one has to ask, "Half full of what???"
    Given the title and focus on hydrophobia, I'd say water.

Quote Originally Posted by slang
    Fun for kids too (mine like it, anyway), learn to manage your money etc.
    That is how my wife plays farmville on facebook. Just let our oldest click away all he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by fazor
    I think a video game post on a science board is about the least-likely place she would venture to on the internet, so I'm probably safe.
    Very optimistic of you.

Ah, I should have seen this before but hadn't; I came across the E3 2010 Silent Hill: Downpour trailer today on youtube. I thought I'd post it here, in case Paul Beardsley or anyone else who's interested hadn't seen it yet either.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    Ah, I should have seen this before but hadn't; I came across the E3 2010 Silent Hill: Downpour trailer today on youtube. I thought I'd post it here, in case Paul Beardsley or anyone else who's interested hadn't seen it yet either.
    I had seen it already but I appreciate you posting it just in case - and I hope casual readers check it out too as it looks great.

On the 'What are you Playing' front, I picked up an indie RTS from Blue Giant Interactive called APOX (available for PC via Steam, for about $15 USD.) I've only played through the meager tutorials (which will be mostly old-news if you've ever played an RTS), and I played one online 3 v 3 match. Thankfully I saw about 0 action, and my other two team-mates destroyed the opposition mostly without my embarrassingly tiny army.

I'm awful at RTS'es, but I had been following the release of this one for the last month or so. It's certainly an 'indie' title, as it's really really lacking in the documentation area and there's a few UI bugs and such, and unit / build-tree depth is fairly limited, but it plays okay. I don't see much long-term value in it though.

I was hoping I'd have a bunch of time today to play though 'X-Men Alliance 2', partly because I enjoy it, and partly so I can then sit down and review it. Yesterday afternoon I got a text message from Tara saying her sister, brother in law, three nephews, neice, and mother were coming down. So there goes all my playing time.

I've also had the itch to try 'Batman: Arkham Asylum'. My friend said he really enjoyed it; and I'd like to play it before 'Arkham City' comes out. But I bought season tickets to our local major-league soccer club yesterday, so I think I'll wait a pay period or two before I spend money on a new game.

Quick update; Family ended up being diverted by weather, so I did get to play [Marvel] Ultimate Alliance 2. And more importantly, I also picked up 'Asylum.' Just a few words:

Batman: Arkham Asylum is awesome!

I know there's some Elder Scrolls fans in here, so wanted to post the new trailer that shows the first game-play footage from Skyrim in case any of you didn't see it yesterday.

There's few words to describe how amazing it looks and sounds. It's going to be a hard wait between now and November!

Oblivion looked amazingly amazing in all the prerelease material but ended up being... not that amazing. Don't get me wrong, I ended up having a lot of fun with Oblivion (with a bunch of mods), but I'm gonna avoid getting hyped up about Skyrim.

The graphics look pretty nice but nothing special, which probably has a lot to do with how they have to make it run on six year old console hardware. I don't really mind since I'm not going to buy a new computer any time soon, though. I'm happy they didn't decide to make everything brown the way half of new games do.

I thought it looked beautiful, and that theme song is amazing. I need the soundtrack when it comes out

I'm not really looking forward to Skyrim. I have enough snow territory over here, thanks all the same. Extreme heat / extreme cold tends to limit modding opportunities. I'll very likely stick with Oblivion.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

I'm back to my beloved EVE Online. I've made enough money to sink a three month subscription into both of my accounts and have been having a ball. My old corp took me back in and we're back out in the Drone Regions kicking back again.

Still play LOTRO once in a great while with my girlfriend (I got her hooked, then she found out some of her co-workers play it too). I have also picked up Stardock's Elemental: War of Magic, and I've been pleasantly surprised. A very in depth fantasy setting 4x turn based game that mixes good old D&D style adventuring with a full on empire builder strategy game. Then again, Stardock has shown they do this kind of thing very well with their Galactic Empires series. They're a small outfit, but what they do produce is almost always very well polished and put together.
    Last edited by Doodler; 2011-Feb-26 at 03:01 PM. Reason: adjusted wording for clarity

Really? Doodler, your recommendation (and Stardock's reputation) is plenty good enough for me. I'm going to have a closer look at Elemental this weekend.

I picked it up as an impulse buy earlier this week, and I've enjoyed it so far (even though I suck horribly at it just now). Its blended the elements of a small unit strategy game (think Shining Force) with a city building side along the lines of Sid Meier's Colonization with some table top D&D thrown in for good measure. Your player is the King or Queen of the realm, and you develop them from a lone survivor up to a full fledged monarch, complete with getting married, having kids (who grow into playable heros for your empire or marry off for alliances) and so on. Its got a campaign along with a randomizable sandbox side, and most importantly....MULTIPLAYER!!!

Stardock now has one of the lead devs from Fireaxis too, so they'll likely do nothing but improve, at least in the near future.

Went shopping today. Picked up Scribblenauts, Kirby All Stars Ultra, and Logic Machines for the DS (was getting tired of RPGs and Pokemon when I was on the move, wanted something more "pick up and go"), and some titles the 360, too.