Thread: New type of energy for a comic book story?

New type of energy for a comic book story?

Greetings all....
    I'm a aspiring comic book writer and have been troubled for some time about a issue...
    I'm trying to create for a story, a brand new type of energy...
    something perhaps realistic enough that could exist in our future but doesn't exist today...
    sort of like in Astroboy they had red and blue energy that was siphoned from inisde a star.

an powerful energy source that will be misused in the story.
    for some reason I'm having a stumbling block over this...
    Anybody out there who is much smarter than me with any ideas? It would be greatly appreciated...
    Thanks for listening
    -Dash

How about some sort of energy that keeps the universe stable? Tapping into it too deeply could unbalance physical reality. But no one is quite certain where the balance point is.

thanks Mike! That's a good one!...very unique

Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander View Post
    How about some sort of energy that keeps the universe stable? Tapping into it too deeply could unbalance physical reality. But no one is quite certain where the balance point is.
    Like in Asimov's The Gods Themselves?

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Zero-point energy seems to be the going unobtainable source. However if you really wanted to get away from common sources you could make it completely obscure, come up with your own terms for it, and never explain it fully. I think that might be the best approach in fact.

Call it, for example, 'nodule' energy or say it comes from 'parallax sources'.

Proton decay energy, in the really far future when there's nothing else left.

Energy derived from the stalling, or passing, of time.

Energy derived from the Dirac Sea.

Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander View Post
    And of course, thre would be some who deny that it is having any effect on physical reality - it is just one of those phases the universe is going through... (OK. That's enough of that sort of thing.)

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    And of course, thre would be some who deny that it is having any effect on physical reality - it is just one of those phases the universe is going through... (OK. That's enough of that sort of thing.)
    I didn't put it down, but that's what I was thinking about. And Henrik mentioned The Gods Themselves, which must have been in my subconscious.

Quote Originally Posted by LotusExcelle View Post
    if you really wanted to get away from common sources you could make it completely obscure, come up with your own terms for it, and never explain it fully. I think that might be the best approach in fact.
    It works for Iron Man's "arc reactor(s)". Physically, it seems to me that vacuum/zero-point energy must be what those things would need to use, but that's only due to lack of other options, and the fictional items were drawn and named before vacuum energy was theorized.

If a revolutionary new power technology were invented, then it would probably be named after something more familiar: a mythological reference, the scientist who invented it, or a two-or-three-word phrase made out of otherwise ordinary words that scientists had used to describe the principle by which it works.

Quote Originally Posted by dashell View Post
    ...any ideas?...
    Cold fusion perfected?

ETA
    ...another candidate:
    ...Stanford scientists have plugged in to algae cells and harnessed a tiny electric current..."We believe we are the first to extract electrons out of living plant cells," said WonHyoung Ryu, the lead author of the paper published in the March issue of Nano Letters...
    physorg.com
    Last edited by sarongsong; 2010-Apr-15 at 06:45 AM.