Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: A general gardening thread

In my 1m2 balcony garden, three of the six apple trees have flowered already (the other three will do so later, they're all different varieties), two of them got pollinated and are building apples.
    The strawberries are doing well, the blackcurrant and raspberry are growing like it's their whole purpose for existing and the tomatoes are doing well too.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Well the garden is completely infested with weeds the corn didn't survive because of all the rain and cool weather we'ev been getting this summer. Stil gonna get some stuff out of the garden but not all I wanted to get out. Sould of saved the money from moving furniture for an auction comapny into getting a new computer than the garden this year but danmed if you and danmed if you don't.

(Old posts... answering even if I don't know if there's been a reply yet)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Peppers are known to cross-pollinate resulting in mild varieties becoming hot. You might want to keep those jalapenos away from the bells.
    Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    Doesn't cross pollination only affect the next generation, not the fruits of the current generation?
    That's right. Cross pollination is only a problem with peppers if you want to harvest the seeds for next year. There are many tricks to prevent cross-pollination: using teabags, separating the plants, using some cloth to cover part of the plant, some people even tried glueing the flowers shut, so the only thing they could do was self-pollinate.

Yeah, I'm into pepper growing again Doing some indoor experimenting now, sowing for 2014 won't be until February. I hate waiting!

Quote Originally Posted by jokergirl View Post
    Weirdly enough I seemed to get strange fruit at once with my chiles. (Unless I imagined it.)
    Did you grow from seeds? From a trusted vendor or gift seeds from a friend?

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

I think we might watch to much of a certain sci-fi show.

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    heh!

Great.
    My garden is just weeds and squash. I guess I could wait a few more days to carve a squash.

TOS: Now you need to make them fly. That will also make them squash!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Hey Treb, we had a world record pumpkin at the Half Moon Bay pumpkin festival, 1290 pounds!

Good luck chucking THAT bad boy!

I came to post that almost all the local gardens are at maximum bloomage, including my own, (Okay, my stepfather's, but I do all the work on it. )

Guys have certainly chunked a car or three, so your 1290 lb pumpkin is certainly doable. Just not by me!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

It was a bad year for my porch garden this year. Didn't get much of anything out of it. I could probably have salvaged the tomatoes more if I'd bothered, but I was so fed up over it this year, I ended up pitching just about all of it.

The peppers i had at floor level of the patio didn't do well at all; I almost think they got sprayed with something or something. The jalapenos I had on the railing did decently actually, but I missed/was too lazy to do anything with them. It was just a bad year all around.

Hopefully next year things will go better. Gonna try the same mostly, since it did work well last year.

For the past couple years I have been working at a farm-supply center: ask me anything about gardening.

I specialized in veggies, but I had a lot of people ask me about flowers, indoor plants, trees and shrubs.

What can I plant in October in deep shade, that I might enjoy eating later? Some years we don't get even one hard frost here in Jacksonville, Florida. Neil

Quote Originally Posted by neilzero View Post
    What can I plant in October in deep shade, that I might enjoy eating later? Some years we don't get even one hard frost here in Jacksonville, Florida. Neil
    Florida, hot summers, cool-winters. How many hours of sunlight? If you get four-hours a day, you can try spinach, peas or lettuce. What's your soil like? Is it sandy like the Georgia-coast?

I just receive 12 trees today... a day after an inch of snow. I don't think I am frozen solid yet, but these a seedlings and I am not taking chances. I am trying to grow them in pots for the winter. What do you think my chances are?

I have two of each of the following:
    Eastern Redbud
    Sargent Crabapple
    Fragrant Lilac
    White Flowering Dogwood
    Goldenrain Tree
    Washington Hawthorn

The deer topped the chicken wire enclosures around my two hawthorn and two maple seedlings that I planted this spring and nibbled them to the ground. Grrr. Deer.
    Solfe

Anybody know anything about forcing bulbs.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I've only had experience forcing the cloves, not the whole bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOncomingStorm View Post
    Anybody know anything about forcing bulbs.
    My mother does but unfortunately I don't, however I have found this link, making forced bulbs easy to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe
    I just receive 12 trees today... a day after an inch of snow. I don't think I am frozen solid yet, but these a seedlings and I am not taking chances. I am trying to grow them in pots for the winter. What do you think my chances are?
    You need to protect them from the freezing cold temperatures, do you have a garage you could store them in? You need to insulate the pots, either by putting the smaller pots into larger pots and fill with mulch or soil, or group all the trees together make a cage of chicken wire and fill with leaves or mulch. I hate winter for my plants.
    The real art of conversation is not only saying the right thing at the right moment but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the most tempting moment. -- unknown

My garden is terrible this winter; my beets are barely growing and most of the stuff I planted didn't come up. I don't think I've have enough sunlight. The beans are growing at a slower rate in which they are being eaten.

I have a timer to water twice I week, but that may not be working good.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Look up "heeling in", works quite well. and they can survive frost in that state.

Oops, more than a month late. Oh well, for next year.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow

My pink jasmine is blooming. Roses aren't merely because the light is a little low. Bogainvilla is going great guns.

And the sap is rising in my multi-plum. A lot of the upper branches are oozing

Already started some seeds inside and got about 50 narcissus in potting soil still have about 60 tulips to put into some soil. And decided to try to do another outside activity and start tapping some maple trees.

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    I live in a little apartment in Edmonton, Canada. My only window faces East; where it takes in what little sun we get around 10 am. I would love to build an herb box ouytside my window. I'd love to grow Chives (for snacking) Basil and Rosemary - for fish and beef.

Can I?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDevo View Post
    I live in a little apartment in Edmonton, Canada. My only window faces East; where it takes in what little sun we get around 10 am. I would love to build an herb box ouytside my window. I'd love to grow Chives (for snacking) Basil and Rosemary - for fish and beef.

Can I?
    Herbs require full-sun; perhaps in the summer time when there's more daylight due to your latitude; in the winter, you'd need a sort of greenhouse to keep the plants from freezing.

If you're going to try, I wouldn't spend too much for a window-box. Try plastic first and see if things grow; if it's successful, upgrade to a wooden-box that will last longer.

Use regular potting-soil and mix with some blood-meal and or Osmocate fertilizer. You probably get enough rain not to have to water it every day, but I'd check on a regular-basis; herbs loves lots of water.

Just planted some rosemary in a pot; used regular garden-soil but I mixed some perlite into it. We'll see if it makes it!

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    (chuckle) Rain? I think I've heard the term somewhere. I think we got enough last year to get the fire hydrant outside my window wet. OK; I may be exaggerating; it was slightly damp.

So if I understand you correctly; if I'm to grow herbs I'll have to do it indoors? Not sure it's worth the effort. I was entertaining thoughts of opening the window on a cheery sunny morning and watering the window-box; occasionally taking a sprig of chive to snack on. Not gonna happen, huh?

Chives? Sure, that stuff will grow everywhere if you keep it watered, it tends to act more like a weed than needs to be kept down.
    Basil and Rosemary would probably be a bit more demanding, but give it a go anyway, the worst than can happen is that you grow tired of chives.

Some of the plants I started indoors are wilting, I think because they are not geeting enough sun. Still not enough sap to make syrup. The bulbs are doing fine have getting flowers for about a month.

Well the garden is finally in but the grape vine looks almost dead. Everything the season seems to be about to off by about 3 weeks. Fiddleheads which is a wild crop was about three weeks off.

Yup, I've noticed the same. Everything is 2-3 weeks off from what I remember last year.

My own patio planters are all done. The Cilantro doesn't seem to be doing as good this year, nor the Italian parsley; I'm hoping they perk up once the July heat comes (if it comes).

The strawberry planter is doing really well so far; lots of flowers that went to fruit.

The jalopenos aren't doing as well; may have gotten them too early.

Cukes are a bit slow too; but I tried growing them from seed this year so they will probably be late.

The tomatoes in planters I got are already fruiting, and the others seem to be doing decently. So all in all, I think I might have a good haul this year. We'll see how they make it throuhg my week vacation in August; that's usually when things fall apart.